Sign in to follow this  
Jim Kelso

Kinko masterpieces

HERE is a link to a gallery with two subjects. The first few photos show Mr. Kobayashi from Otsu who I was fortunate to visit. Kobayashi-san's expertise lays in the restoration and production of temple and shrine metal objects for worship as well as hardware such as hinges, nail covers and decorative plates. These objects demand a high level of skill and conform to centuries old traditions. Fortunately Kobayashi-san's son is learning from him in order to carry on this tradition. The one photo that shows a small piece placed on a photo is of a component that is just one of hundreds that went into the shrine shown underneath.

The balance of photos show work in the exhibition currently at the Kiyomizu-Sannenzaka Museum which I had the great opportunity to photograph before the pieces were placed. These works represent the pinnacle of the Meiji Period kinko metalwork tradition and are all by either Unno Shomin or Shoami Katsuyoshi.

When I return, I will try to focus on these pieces and write some details about them.

Jim

HERE is another link to the current exhibition.

Jim,

Congratulations on your representation in the exhibit. It is not surprizing that you were chosen.

Thank you for the images. The ones showing hammers is a treasure.

Best,

Fred

Inspiring as always Jim.

I'm happy for you, the trip must have proven one of the most worthwhile ones you have made there.

Do you happen to have any more photos of that waterfall screen (I presume that is what it is) you made so many close ups of?

Kind regards

Thanks very much Natasha and Hyllyn.

Hyllyn, that screen by Unno Shomin is so fantastic. I was working under limited light conditions so wasn't able to get a decent overall shot but will make a thread when I return showing what I have. I did get some very nice close-ups.

More to follow.

Jim