Hey Hey, new guy on the forums.

lewted

Hi. My name is Kevin and I'm from California. I found this site awhile back and got interested.

I'm new to carving (haven't carved one thing so far) and well frankly i want advice. I really want to carve bone (sooo badly) and well i don't know exactly how.... I'm open to tips about everything. I don't have alot of money (currently with Christmas coming up and all ((also having a hard time getting a job))) So I'm hoping to get some good friendly ideas for cheap bone and tools. What tools do i need exactly and where can i get them?

I hope (keep having hopes lol) i can get meet some people, get good ideas, and even, make new friends along my "Carving path"

Thanks and i hope to hear from you all soon. Thank you!! :rolleyes:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the introduction! There are some who carve bone on The Carving Path. They check in from time to time. In the meantime, if you can do a SEARCH (above right of the forum page) and use - bone - for the keyword, you will have a lot to read. I just did it and found six pages of topics that have the word bone used in them. You may also open one forum area at a time, and scan down to look for topic titles that may sound promising. Either way, if you do a little research while you wait for communications, you will do well for yourself. The past years of this forum are a rich resource for carvers to learn from.

For example: you will find discussion about how to prepare bone right from the market (various approaches);tools and techniques for getting the work done; even some discussion about the potential for staining the material. You will learn a great deal from the earlier discussions, and will better hone your ability to ask the right questions.

Do you have a concept of the sorts of things that you would like to carve? Have you seen other bone carvings that have inspired you?

Kindest regards, and welcome to the forum! Hope is good to have during these times!

Janel

Aha! I am the bone expert!

What you need is a dremel. The bone can be purchased at PetSmart... it is called sterilized bone. The bone comes pre-cleaned and pre-decreased (though not very well...). You will need some kind of mask if you use a band saw to rough cut the pieces.

Tools:

>>Dremel with cutting disk, drum sander, buffing wheels (one for each kind of compound), and a cone shaped grinder bit (they are yellow to pink in color. looks like sand glued to steel rod)

>>Sand Paper. Maybe 400 grit to 6000 (not all the in between, just a variety)

>>Coping saw. Get a variety of blades. All I have seen work pretty much the same.

>>Buffing Compound. I do not know where you live, but if you have a Menards nearby then they have all the tools and compounds you will need (except the coping saw. I am not sure if they stock).

Watch this video:

If I remember anything else I will post...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the introduction! There are some who carve bone on The Carving Path. They check in from time to time. In the meantime, if you can do a SEARCH (above right of the forum page) and use - bone - for the keyword, you will have a lot to read. I just did it and found six pages of topics that have the word bone used in them. You may also open one forum area at a time, and scan down to look for topic titles that may sound promising. Either way, if you do a little research while you wait for communications, you will do well for yourself. The past years of this forum are a rich resource for carvers to learn from.

For example: you will find discussion about how to prepare bone right from the market (various approaches);tools and techniques for getting the work done; even some discussion about the potential for staining the material. You will learn a great deal from the earlier discussions, and will better hone your ability to ask the right questions.

Do you have a concept of the sorts of things that you would like to carve? Have you seen other bone carvings that have inspired you?

Kindest regards, and welcome to the forum! Hope is good to have during these times!

Janel

Thank you for all the help

Archived