The Cure

Ddbltrbl

My father recently gave me some blocks of Bodark or Osage Orange. He said that the log these blocks were sawed from had been stored in a cool dry place for some where between 12-15 years. However, the wood is still very cool and moist feeling to the touch, and I was told that this wood cured up to a golden color, but this is still very yellow-orange. Could it still be somewhat green after this long? If some one knows this wood, or can guide me on how to tell if it is cured enough that I don't have to worry about cracking and splitting, I would really appreciate the help.

My father recently gave me some blocks of Bodark or Osage Orange. He said that the log these blocks were sawed from had been stored in a cool dry place for some where between 12-15 years. However, the wood is still very cool and moist feeling to the touch, and I was told that this wood cured up to a golden color, but this is still very yellow-orange. Could it still be somewhat green after this long? If some one knows this wood, or can guide me on how to tell if it is cured enough that I don't have to worry about cracking and splitting, I would really appreciate the help.

Where are you keeping this wood and how thick is it? If it's off the ground and has been exposed to air for 12 years it's dry. You can buy a moisture meter and test it.

Woody,

Thanks for the response. The wood was originally stored as a log in with others in a cool dry shed specifically used for that purpose. It was recently sawed into boards and peices (mostly 2") some of which I have stored in my shop.

I started working a piece of it yesterday and it feels a lot different once it has been carved. Carving also brought out a beautiful golden color. So, it turns out that it actually was dry. It is just a very different wood to anything I've ever messed with. The moist, cool feel of the blocks and the fact that it was stored as a log left me concerned about nothing it appears.

Archived