howdies

megrim

Hello all.

I'm a 25 year old transplanted Icelander now living in Australia. I'm relatively new to carving. I've carved some amber over the years just for fun, though I've never sold a piece. I guess I carve for personal enjoyment. I recently nabbed some nice nephrite, and am trying my hand at it. I got meself a Dremel and more attachments than I'll ever need, and so far it's going pretty well, though I'm dreading getting to the polishing stage.

I took a quick look through the search function for info on jade carving, and didn't find much. But I'll take a better look a little later :rolleyes:. Looking foreward to learning and carving.

Sorry about the image quality, only have my little phone camera. I started this piece 2 days ago, my first ever go at jade. I'm not sure if I want to remove the recessed areas alltogether or leave them recessed and carve the rabbit figure up from a thinner, translucent backing. In the end I think I'll do whatever is easier to polish. :lol:

sized.jpg

Welcome to The Carving Path forum, megrim!

There is a little big about carving stone and jade here and there on the forum, and as I recall, some recent Q&A about jade. Keep trying with the SEARCH function.

I hope you will find good information here, and that others who know about jade will help to answer your questions.

Happy New Year to you!

Janel

Hello all.

I'm a 25 year old transplanted Icelander now living in Australia. I'm relatively new to carving. I've carved some amber over the years just for fun, though I've never sold a piece. I guess I carve for personal enjoyment. I recently nabbed some nice nephrite, and am trying my hand at it. I got meself a Dremel and more attachments than I'll ever need, and so far it's going pretty well, though I'm dreading getting to the polishing stage.

I took a quick look through the search function for info on jade carving, and didn't find much. But I'll take a better look a little later :rolleyes:. Looking foreward to learning and carving.

Sorry about the image quality, only have my little phone camera. I started this piece 2 days ago, my first ever go at jade. I'm not sure if I want to remove the recessed areas alltogether or leave them recessed and carve the rabbit figure up from a thinner, translucent backing. In the end I think I'll do whatever is easier to polish. :lol:

Hey Megrim, Welcome to The Carving Path! Nice to see another carver in their 20's on here! (I feel outnumbered some days...)

I haven't carved jade or anything that hard, but I am a flexshaft carver, and when it comes to polishing, the most important thing is being patient in the stages leading up to the actual polishing. If you didn't sand it patiently, you won't get a decent polish. As far as the polishing itself goes, I've heard from others that diamond grits either worked by hand or with buffs works well on jade. *shrug* No personal experience.

If you like amber, you might consider trying acrylic or reconstituted stone. It's more forgiving, but takes a really nice polish.

LJ

www.dreamingdragondesign.deviantart.com

Hello Megrim,

I havn't logged on here in sometime and when I finally do there's a question that's right up my alley. For nephrite carving information there's a Kiwi name of Donn Salt (believe he's a member here too) whose website www.donnsalt.com, (suprizingly) has a wonderful mini symposium on jade carving start to finish. Click on his site, click on jade pieces, locate his ouroboros and click on it for a step by step. Donn is truly one of the very finest nephrite carvers in the world. There are also a couple of polytechnic's in NZ with carving programs which are quite extensive.

Best of Luck,

Tom

Archived