Food Chain

Janel

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed this one Janel. I like it, but I am really into bugs :) I don't want to know what they are having for breakfast though hehe.

It funny becuase I was taking pics of (carpenter) ants just a couple of days ago. They are really active from the hot days we have been having here. It has been a real challenge to get the depth of field to encompass more than a couple ants while getting as close as I want. There is a lens for my camera that is supposed to allow you to back the camera off 12 inches while still getting the one inch detail. its expensive $100, but I am really temped as the camera shadow is in some of the angles I want to get and backing off some is just what is needed. I wonder if it would increase the depth of field or shorten it?

I could not tell you if the DOF would increase, but if you get to try it first, make the shutter opening as small as possible (highest f-stop number) that is compatible with the speed of the shutter (moving subjects or not) needed to make a clear photo. It would be nice if the lens would give you a little more focused depth. I wonder if with digital if the ISO were reduced to its lowest setting also.

Janel

Archived