My first show and tell

Brent Duty

Very nice. Do you use rotary tools or carve the bone? I also love the finish. Almost looks like ivory in the pictures.

Thanks JP, I use a rotary tool and gravers that I learned to make from this forum. I wet-sand my pieces and use toothpaste and then buff it with white rouge (Knifemaker taught me that). I soak my bones in Hydrogen peroxide to whiten them before I let them dry out.

Thanks Mike I like your knives. Are you a member of The Knifemakers' Guild?

Thanks for the tips Brent. Your work is excellent. I'll be trying a little bone carving in the future as I prefer common materials over exotics.

No problem. Thanks for the compliment. If you need any help let me know. I really like using cattle bone and some people are sensitive to what materials you use. I do use other materials, but usually it will be an inlay of say oosik or an exotic wood to set a piece off.

Great piece Brent, thanks for sharing the photo's.

Thanks Don! I noticed your interest in Karate may I ask what style you learned? As a young boy I learned a style called, Uechi Ryu" one of the styles of Okinawa. The experience changed my life in many ways.

Archived