Left-handed, Right-handed

Guest katfen

Thanks Kathleen for the fun question!

I am a right-handed-ambidexterous person. With practice, the left hand could become even more useful than it is now. It does a lot to compliment the work of the right hand. It is the inside tool and tool holder while making pots, it plays the upper part of the saxophone when I tootle with the swing band, it picks and scratches as well as the right when needed. The left hand holds its own with the right when typing messages at a keyboard also! It also likes steering the car better than the right hand! It occasionally is allowed to wield a sharp tool while I am carving, but the right hand won't yield that privilege very often, being very defensive of its designation of right-handedness!

Janel

Guest ford hallam

Hi Kathleen,

Your query raises some interesting points. I`m a natural right-hander but my youngest son, Joel is showing definate signs of being a follower of the dark left hand path ( obscure reference to medieval attitudes ). I`m sure I`ll beat it out of him though.

I`m actually a Japanese trained traditional metalworker ( chokinshi) and do practically all of my work, particularly inlay and carving, with a hammer and chisel. None of those infernal noisy electric jack-hammers here! Naturally enough my right hand wields the hammer and the delicate matter of guiding the chisel is relegated to the left.

I play the guitar and find that the demands placed on the left hand when playing classical music frequently outweigh the work required of the right.

I also practice Japanese calligraphy and swordmanship neither of which permit the left hand to be dominant. :blink:

Makes me wonder what the consequences of suppressing ones natural preferences are. With regard to handedness of course, what were you thinking?

Ford :)

Another R/L consideration is eyes. I think everyone has a dominant eye(need to check on this).

I discovered that even though I am right handed, my left eye is dominant. I discovered this when sighting guns: I naturally close my right eye to aim with my left I seem to remember my optometrist confirming this in something he could see during his testing.

Guest DFogg

I am right handed and other than controlling tongs my left hand is rarely used.

You can check your eye dominance by pointing your finger at an object both eyes open, then close each eye. The one that is on target is your dominant eye. In variably when you are working, especially when you are doing symetrical objects such as knives, there will be a dominant side to the work.

I have a friend and blacksmith, Peter Happny, who injured his elbow in the middle of a time sensitive job and learned to use the opposite hand for hammering. He is not equally proficient with either hand and gives and amazing demo where he windmills a bar of steel to upset it on the end.

Kathleen,

I am left handed however I can use my right hand when needed. When I taught calligraphy I would demonstrate to the kids with my right hand since my normal way of drawing letters is upside down and backwards to keep my hand out of the ink. I also use a computer mouse right handed since my art room computers were set up right handed for the students. A few years ago one of my ninth graders looked at me funny when I was demonstrating drawing using my left hand. She said "my grandfather says all lefthanders are stupid and would slap my hand black and blue for using my left hand". Grandfather was on the town council.

Dick

I have spent quite some time studying kids and animals. There are close to the same numbers of animals being left handed as people.

I am more righthanded than left. Played First base as a lefty and the rest as a righty. Hind-catcher and short-stop.

When drawing I will use the right on the right and the left on the left side. Carving or whitling with a knife is the same.. Gouges and chisels are right handed. Mainly because of damage to the left side.

Hammering and playing the guitar, the left is the guiding hand and the right is the rhythm and power.

I have trained horses all of my life and it is hard to get a horse to convert from being left or right handed. They have a comfort zone, just as we do. They have no earthly reason for doing it with the opposite side, except to get along with whom ever is teaching them. Some becoming angry when forced to do things backwards. The best Cutting horse I trained was left handed but it caused no problems for him.

I once had a really smart Border Collie that wanted to circle the herd to catch a stray, rather than run full power to his right and circle back to the left. This dog failed because he was completely left handed. He became confused when ordered to do things right handed.

Just my .02 worth. :)

Chuck

Guest Clive

If all that stuff about left and right sides of the brain being related to right and left hands is true....does that explain why at least half of the population are constantly thinking that their arse is big? :)

I read recently that paleontologists think wooly mammoths exhibited handedness- or more specifically tuskedness. Apparently when they dig up a skull and intact pairs of tusks, one will exhibit more wear than the other, as if used more.

factoid for the day...

Archived