Trying to get ready to do some more carving

rbagateky

Jane said in her reply to my New Member Post that I seem to be serious about learning more about carving, well I am just slowing in doing things sometimes.

I am intending to just do a little carving to start like the doing groves, lines and curves and textures on some of my cabochon shapes eventually. Also plan some small abstract shapes and leafs to start with as soon as it gets warmer. Sintered diamond burrs will be used mostly used to do the carving. Usually I have done rounded edges on what I have done.

Probably will be called lazy but for 20 years I have been just cutting my cabochons on 80 grit and 220 grit Diamond grinding wheels then tumble finishing them in 3 more stages in Mini-sonic variable speed tumblers. The media is a aluminium oxide triangular .75 x .125 shapes from a factory that finished Levi fasteners for Jeans. The 1st stage is with 320 grit Silicon Carbide grit slurry and the 2nd stage is with 600 grit Silicon Carbide grit slurry. The polishing stage is a gel mixture of tin oxide and cerium oxide that is over 20 years old and has been added to continually over the years. Each stage has it own separate hopper to avoid contaminate.

The only change made in the last 2 years was to buy Inland Sintered diamond 8" x 1.5" wheels in 100 grit and 200 grits to do the cabbing with, the wheels have 5mm's thickness of diamond metal compound fused to them. They are commercial type wheels and should last a lot longer than plated wheels.

Welcome to the site. Funny I have been carving more then 20 years and now have just started some lapidary work to learn how to work with harder stone. Sintered diamond is a great bit to use, wears well I still have some of my first diamond bits that I have been using on my bird carving. Although Tupelo Gum is much softer then stone. I have been experimenting with using the micro carving machines on jade and a few other rocks. I can easily get the shape and details in to the stone but I am not yet successful with removing the diamond scratches. I have just made my first pear wood cylinder to use with diamond paste, this appear to polish but does not remove all of the scratches. I have to order some more mandrels to handle a courser grit.

Enjoy the learning experience, be careful with how you hold the small stones as the high speed bits will cut and burn your fingers when it touches.

Russ

Welcome to the site. Funny I have been carving more then 20 years and now have just started some lapidary work to learn how to work with harder stone. Sintered diamond is a great bit to use, wears well I still have some of my first diamond bits that I have been using on my bird carving. Although Tupelo Gum is much softer then stone. I have been experimenting with using the micro carving machines on jade and a few other rocks. I can easily get the shape and details in to the stone but I am not yet successful with removing the diamond scratches. I have just made my first pear wood cylinder to use with diamond paste, this appear to polish but does not remove all of the scratches. I have to order some more mandrels to handle a courser grit.

Enjoy the learning experience, be careful with how you hold the small stones as the high speed bits will cut and burn your fingers when it touches.

Russ

Archived