Unknown Stone

Russ_B

This stone was very interesting to work with, very similar to tagua nut, but no chance of burning. I would say the hardness of the stone is around 3 to4 it polished very well, and I could scrape it with a HSS graver.

I only have a couple more pieces I was wondering if anyone would know the stone? I worked with a very strong vacuum and a water bath to keep the stone cool and wet. the slurry from the dust and water was very slippery.

Now that I have taken the picture with my Macro lens I see more imperfections, the piece is around 15mm long

Russ

post-1953-1233023698.jpg

The stone looks familiar as a Canadian member of the serpentine family: green Antigorite or 'Picrolite'. The mining area at Thetford, Quebec is a source.

The color, fibery shafts are typical and hardness fits your find too. Mindat.org has more on it.

The stone looks familiar as a Canadian member of the serpentine family: green Antigorite or 'Picrolite'. The mining area at Thetford, Quebec is a source.

The color, fibery shafts are typical and hardness fits your find too. Mindat.org has more on it.

Thanks so much. You're very good. The lapidary group has been to Thetford mines a few times. I picked up the pieces from the workshop.

Archived