New Carver from the Sonoran Desert of Arizona

Paniolo

Hello all. I found my way here via a recommendation from a member of Tiki Central and am happy to have found you. I started bone carving 5 months ago, mostly Hawaiian hooks, and am now getting interested in Maori and other Polynesian culture and carvings. I have been on a quest, mostly unsuccessful, to learn bindings and lashings. I learned the Hawaiian hook binding from a video by a carver in Hawaii named Louie the Fish and am just starting to get that right. I'd like to learn NZ style lashings like the traditional Toki binding or the knotted ridge but am finding very few resources. I have the Myhre book and I've looked at those illustrations and explanations until my head hurts and still can't get it. I think some of the pictures must be out of sequence or there are steps missing. I've searched this site and seen bindings by Sebastian that are beautiful. If anyone can direct me to other resources for learning how to get started learning these bindings it would be greatly appreciated.

I recently acquired some gravers and am looking forward to learning how to add detail and interest to some of my carvings. Again I have no idea what I'm doing or even where to start so it will be a matter of trial-and-error, as my learning to carve has been. I hope to learn from the experienced carvers on this forum more about how to use carvers and add details to my hooks, Toki, etc.

I live north of the Phoenix, Arizona area in the U.S. in what can be described as the high Sonoran desert so this isn't exactly a hotbed of Polynesian cultural information. I'm looking forward to meeting folks on this forum with similar interests and circumstances as mine as well as those who can help me accomplish my carving goals as a hobbyist.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I had trouble picking up on the lashings at first. I came to the realization that practice makes the understanding easier with time. Myhre's book is a hands on book and you won't get it until you've wrapped quite a few.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'll continue to try to get those lashings done. Biggest problem I have is getting started. Once started I think I could do the rest. It would be great if someone who knew how to do the Toki lashing or knotted ridge posted a few pictures on the process of starting those lashings. I could most likely take it from there and I'll bet there are more than a few others on this forum who would appreciate that advice as well.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'll continue to try to get those lashings done. Biggest problem I have is getting started. Once started I think I could do the rest. It would be great if someone who knew how to do the Toki lashing or knotted ridge posted a few pictures on the process of starting those lashings. I could most likely take it from there and I'll bet there are more than a few others on this forum who would appreciate that advice as well.

Myrhe's book has pictures of the first stages of the Toki lashing. It's the reason I bought the book, I couldn't find it anywhere else. I wish I'd have bought it earlier, you won't find a better book for bone carving.

Archived