Pumpkin netsuke

fkvesic

Well done on your first piece Frada.. its a good beginning. You've captured the important organic essence of the pumpkin.. perhaps more so than you have the leaf... a bit of the sharper undercut at the edge of the leaf would help with that. I like the contrast of detail at the top.. perhaps those textural holes could be a little more varied in shape and position.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Clive

Many thanks, Clive. I can do something about the holes, and will attempt more undercutting when it's dry. I was tentative about undercutting to begin with because the wood's softer at that point (sod's law!) and I didn't want to risk chipping bits off. Seeing the whole thing blown up in a photo, though, I can see more clearly how the leaf looks stuck on at present rather than carved, though I wasn't going for a naturalistic look.

Freda

If you worried about undercutting you could try sharpening the angle of the edge from the inside of the leaf.. a concave right up to the edge will crisp it up nicely... but then again Freda.. for a first carving you've done a great job.

Good job, Freda! I really like the cut stem treatment you've done at the top. Very pumpkiny.

My only real criticism is that the leaf looks thick - I concur with Clive that thinning the leaf edges and a little finer undercut will do wonders.

Be sure and show us the finished version!

Hi Freda,

It is always difficult to provide a critique of someone elses work, since you never really know what they were trying to accomplish or epress, and it is difficult to avoid projecting one's own style preferences on another's work. I would initially agree with the comments on the leaf, but it really depends on what your intentions were.

Having said that, it is not only great for a first attempt, but very good for an experienced carver.

I suspect that you have had some experience with carving before, if not netsuke, then something larger? If not, then what will come with more experience will be outstanding in a short time.

I too look forward to seeing how the finish progresses.

Best regards,

Phil

Many thanks, everybody, and, yes, something will have to be done about that leaf.

On intentions, Phil, I was looking to produce something that was just the other side of naturalistic, but not fully abstract. It's why the leaf fails at present, I think. That's more abstract than the pumpkin itself and now appears lumpy and without finesse.

No, I've not had any experience with carving; in fact, was scared about working in the round and in detail and many times stopped for a few days because I didn't know how to proceed until I'd thought it through. I have made some simple furniture in the past, of the saw, plane and sanding variety, and I have whittled, but only simple shapes with a knife and sandpaper (pine paper knives, my life!), but that's the limit of my experience. I suppose what helped was studying pumpkins for a couple of weeks - real ones, photos and sketches - and playing with ideas before I hacked into wood; also reading voraciously here and on FTIB and books on netsuke; in fact, I don't know what I would have done without the two sites. Staining/dyeing I'm familiar with, so knew more or less what I was doing there; polishing/oiling, less so, though I have tackled some french polishing in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I Must add my 2 cents worth,, Beautiful especially for your FIRST carving? Great. I Love how you have gone about this first undertaking, learning as you go, taking your time to study the piece and the subject, reading all you can fing about these tiny carvings, and most of all your patience to not Rust the process. Very well done so far and I'm sure that when you declare this piece "Done" it will be Excellent! Can't wait.

Archived