How do you store your tools?

Phil White

Hi everybody,

For some time, I have been less than satisfied with the way that I store my tools. The problem is that I have about 200 carving tools that I want to have ready to use, not wrapped up in tool rolls where I can't see them. I am currently keeping them on shelves with the points visible, but this presents several problems, not the least of which is a safety issue. The points are usually kept close to or behind the edge of the shelf, (projection has been exagerated for the photo) but retrieval can be a bit delicate sometimes.

The photo below shows my selection of tools that are over 1/4 inch only. There are probably about 40 more small tools stored in rolls.

post-1087-1235771297.jpg

I am curious how you store your tools.

Any suggestions, photos of tool racks, or creative ideas would be appreciated.

Phil

Mine are stored in little boxes - plastic, wooden, whatever - then put into big office cardboard boxes stacked under my desk, space being at a premium. It's fine for micro tools for netsuke, though the bigger tools have boxes of their own in a broom/tool/cleaning materials cupboard.

Phil

I have many fewer tools but am also interested in readily accessable storage. My thoughts go toward a chest with shallow drawers and partitions/cutouts to hold the blade and handle, to prevent them from rolling around and getting damaged.

I have a photo (somewhere!) and if I can find it will post it to show my idea. I use it for my minature tools.

Looking forward to other people's ideas.

Toothy

Phil

I have found this photo of the chest of drawers in which I store my micro chisels. The top drawer shows some tools stored and the lowest drawer shows the files used in their manufacture.

Each drawer of chisels holds 25 tools and there are 4 drawers (plus the files). The layout in the lowest drawer shows my idea of how I like to keep my tools when working, although I still need to make a holder for everyday use. :blush:

When I get around to it I will make a similar chest of drwers for the larger chisels as well. At present the house has priority! ;)

post-1834-1236023120.jpg

Toothy

I was going to post photos, but with you guys being so organized... I seem to not take time to keep them all lined up... also a shortage of drawers, though I have many! I will post when I get camera and computer together anyway, just to be brave and a little different, or perhaps casual?

Nice tool drawers Toothy.

Janel

Thanks Janel

Phil,

I made the chest of drawers. :blush:

What I did was to measure the diameter of the handles (+-19mm, 3/4" doweling) and allow a little extra giving +-20 - 21mm space per chisel. The slots for the blades were then made at 1/2 this distance apart to allow max no of tools to fit. There are 27 spaces per drawer thus allowing 25 tools as the first and last slots aren't usable. The depth of each drawer is 21mm inside plus base = 24mm. Drawer spacing is 25mm (1"). The whole cabinet is made from 6mm ply screwed and glued with slots in the sides for the drawer bases to slide in. The drawer sides are 6mm ply and the bases 3.2mm melamine faced hardboard extending 3mm beyond the sides, melamine facing down to allow smooth sliding. The strip of slots is 6mm ply with 3mm slots, made by taking a wider piece (+-13mm) and drilling 6.5mm holes at 10mm centres and then slicing to form 2 blade supports.

I would have used thicker wood for the cabinet sides but didn't have any. :( Handles are bought, didn't fancy turning them even though I could have done. ;)

I also have many unhandled chisels made from masonary nails, similarly housed, in one of the lower drawers.

Toothy

Archived