Little Critter

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can see what you are talking about! Interesting subject and presentation. Jumbo sized nut! I have seen a nut of this size from West Timor that was supposedly boiled for a long time and literally turned inside out before carving. I have tried to do this myself without success I'm afraid :blush:

Phil,

I've had nothing but frustration since getting our digital camera. It's fine for family snaps, but that's all. I'm tempted to go back to using my 35mm SLR and film and just converting over to digital. I used to do that using Kodak photo discs, but stopped using film and hence taking "serious" photos since going digital. (We can't justifiably afford a Nikon SLR digital right now.)

And now the inspiration for the piece:

post-1558-1237548741.jpg

Mike,

Thoughts for focusing on small pieces: 1) Find the distance (could be in the camera reviews on web based camera forums, like Steve's Digicams) that is the closest distance for focusing. Try to get an in-focus photo with that distance, or even further back from the piece, at the highest resolution. Crop the photo to remove the excess background. 2) If you have control of aperture and f-stop, set the aperture or f-stop at the highest number (which makes the aperture the smallest opening). The duration of the photo will be longer, so a tripod and timer would offer a steady shot.

Good luck.

Janel

Thank you Janel. Idon't have control over that stuff and I cropped out much the background to make for faster loading of the pic. That also pixelates it some. Thanks for your suggestion.

Toothy, my camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-S650 7.2 Megapixel. Surely nothing special. Thanks for taking interest.

Hi Mike

Your camera has a macro distance of 2" and a normal close focus of 20".

1. Using macro won't photograph anything larger than +- 1" diameter,

2. Between 2 & 20" the camera won't focus properly.

3. Over 20" you should get proper focusing.

In order to frame the "Little Critter" take the photo from further than 20", use the optical zoom but if you need greater magnification don't use more than 2x digital zoom otherwise you may lose too much detail.

Flash will give a 'hard' picture and possibly unwanted shadows.

Use fairly bright natural light to get an even lighting and a small aperture (to get depth of focus). Side lighting supplemented with flash may give you more surface modelling.

Check if the camera has a setting for close objects but not macro. (My little Nikon has a setting for 'museum' and 'documents' that adjust exposure for close and poorish light).

Use a neutral medium density background ie a medium grey or other colour to contrast with the carving and to bring out the colours.

Use white card to reflect light onto the subject if necessary and possibly some form of steady ie tripod, beanbag etc.

Have fun and patience will be rewarded

Toothy

Archived