Newbie - Canadian West Coast

Nelson Lepine

Hi Everybody- Stumbled on to this site because of my interest in netsuke and small carving in general. I'm very impressed by the quality of work and the generosity of knowledge sharing here! I hope I can contribute something in the future in my own "small" way! While I have carved some netsuke, I generally just like to work small in the spirit of netsuke. The west coast native carving is very predominant and there are some influential masters of the genre here. I like boxwood but am always seeking out other woods to experiment- holly, cherry, hawthorne, huckleberry, and juniper. I like to carve jet when I can get my hands on a decent piece (know where I can find some?) and I have a connection with Cottonwood bark. This bark is highly patterned and somewhat soft of course but is easy to flow with. The Hopi Indians use the roots for making kachina dolls while allot of the wood here is used to make toilet paper! This tree does not grow on the island where I live so just pieces of bark that have drifted up on the beach are available. I often think of the journey the piece has made when I'm carving and acknowledge the journey has started the carving for me! Hope to upload some pictures soon. Pleased to meet you! Nelson

Welcome Nelson. I grew up in central Washington State and always loved the Northwest Coast and other, more inland Native art and it's influence.

I hope we can see your work soon.

The Cottonwood bark sounds intriguing. I have a piece of Poplar bark on my wall which is related.

Also, I'm curious which island you live on, if you care to share that.

Thanks,

Jim

Welcome Nelson. I grew up in central Washington State and always loved the Northwest Coast and other, more inland Native art and it's influence.

I hope we can see your work soon.

The Cottonwood bark sounds intriguing. I have a piece of Poplar bark on my wall which is related.

Also, I'm curious which island you live on, if you care to share that.

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim! Thanks for comment! I live on Bowen Island- a 20 min commute to West Vancouver. I'm glad you know about the Northwest Coast experience from a carvers perspective. Just getting to know my way around a digital camera a friend gave me so hope to have a pic or two up soon :o Thanks for your interest! I also would like to thank-you Janel for making me feel welcome and your informative video on how you carve! :lol: Nelson

Hi Nelson !

Canadian West Coast -place of Canadian writer Farley Mouet

It is very inrasting to know about carvers fron Canada.

As it is now with the Canadian Indians and their culture?

Can We see what a culture of Indian artifacts on the Internet.

Nelson, with what materials you are working and what your favorite topics for netske?

I heard that in Canada, quite a lot of fossil mammoth ivory, as in Sibiria.Have you use that material in their works?

Sorry if a lot of questions.

Nelson, if that is interesting about the Russia-ask me

Have a nice day !

Sergey Makarenkov

Thank you Nelson. The little video is a just a little sample of moving tools and removing bits of wood. I hope that it helps folks a little bit.

Janel

No! Thank-you!! I found your tools most interesting- triangular edges seem to make allot of sense!

Welcome to the forum, Nelson.

I spent quite a bit of time on the west coast when I was young. My father was from Chilliwack, and we used to visit the coast practically every summer, mostly Vancouver, Victoria, and the Fraser River valley area. It was these visits and my exposure to the carvings of the northern Northwest coast that inspired me to start carving at around 7 years old.

Is this the style that you work in?

Phil

Glad to meet you Phil! While I am influenced by native carvers (like you inspired by their work) I can't say that I work in the same style. I have done some work that uses their methods (masks for instance) and have copied the basic shapes and forms that occur in their work, I am trying to develop my own shapes, approach, and attitude! The search is the thing I think. I try to connect with the spirit of what the piece is saying to get to the core of the matter. I don't always get there but when I think I do that is when I am happiest with the work and feel successful!

Archived