From Minnesota

Grained

I'm a wood carver in Minnesota. Right now I mainly do it for fun and as stress relief after long days of work, school, kids etc. I started carving as a kid and played around with it here and there. I took a breather about ten years back after I had a bad incident with a roughing knife. Since the sensation is finally now back in that hand I found myself dragging out the old knives and carving again.

I am currently going to school to be a Industrial Technology teacher (new fancy term for a "Shop" teacher). I should be out teaching in two years. I find myself drawn more to wood working end of the field. I'm not a great at carving but I'm getting better every day.

Welcome to The Carving Path, Grained!

It sounds like the incident with the roughing knife was quite an event. I hope that when you are carving now, that you plan your cuts to end up away from your flesh! It is an often recommended concept around here.

What sort of carving are you interested in? Where are you attending classes?

You are in my neck of the woods! I live an hour north of The Cities. We've got another member of TCP who lives up this way also, DanM.

Janel

I was distracted and carving some zebra wood, the blade caught on a knot and I forced it. Cut down to the bone across the side of my hand and below my first finger. They had to reattach some nerves and patch a couple tendons a few weeks after it happened. Lost most of the feeling in my first finger but its come back now. Nice scar though. I also quit for safety reasons during that time. Two young girls running around didn't bode well with carving. They get into everything.

I go to the U of Mn Twin Cities. I am primarily on the St. Paul campus. I love that campus. Its so quiet and peaceful compared to Minneapolis. Today there were sheep and a pair of steers watching me get in an out of my car. Parking lot was next to one of the research barns.

Do you know where I can get some holly to carve around here? I found a couple small pieces at Rocklers but I would like to try to find a good source for it. That and knives, I really need to get batter tools.

I am more into carving smaller pieces right now but I found this site while researching chainsaw sculpting. What I like about the small pieces are that I can stick them in my pocket unfinished and take it out to contemplate the next stage of it when I have a chance. My classmates usually get a good laugh out of what I have in my pockets on a given day. Never the knives though, they don't go in the pockets.

I've lived here in the Twin Cities for about 12 years now. I stick to the north metro as much as I can. I am originally from the Fargo/Moorhead area.

OUch. Cringe. I am glad that your hand is recovering.

Yes, the U of M St. Paul campus is quite a nice place. My husband studied there years ago. A bit of rural right in the city.

You could go online to the various hardwood dealers in the US, Gilmer, Eisenbrand, and there must be others. There may be metro area hardwood dealers that might carry holly, though I never sought them out. I just used "hardwood Minneapolis MN" for a keyword search on Google, and got some listings, a couple might be interesting to learn about what they have to offer. I just found the link to Minnesota Wood Carver's Association Someone there might have a good idea where to find wood for carving, other than Rockler.

Janel

OUch. Cringe. I am glad that your hand is recovering.

Yes, the U of M St. Paul campus is quite a nice place. My husband studied there years ago. A bit of rural right in the city.

You could go online to the various hardwood dealers in the US, Gilmer, Eisenbrand, and there must be others. There may be metro area hardwood dealers that might carry holly, though I never sought them out. I just used "hardwood Minneapolis MN" for a keyword search on Google, and got some listings, a couple might be interesting to learn about what they have to offer. I just found the link to Minnesota Wood Carver's Association Someone there might have a good idea where to find wood for carving, other than Rockler.

Janel

Hey grained! Yikes! A painful arduous lesson! Keep your flesh behind the edge! Every carver has to draw blood sometime along the way but geeze! I like holly to- I carved a netsuke style piece of two people I titled "hollywood couple" (haha). A pruning saw in your arsenal might be a handy thing to have on campus when no one is looking! :lol: After many years pushing chisels around a break through for me happened when I discovered the Indian style hooked knife- Good luck on your studies and hope to view your work in the future! Nelson

Archived