hello from Illinois

jon m ryan

Hi. I found this site a long time ago, bookmarked it and forgot about till I found it again last week.

I live in Wheaton, Illinois, which is about 45 minutes west of Chicago. I am a jeweler. I have done a lot of wax carving in the past, but not so much anymore. I have been working in aluminum the past several years. I plan to try some wood carving soon. I'm not sure how that will go because I am used to metal and I find the grain of wood kind of difficult to work with.

Brooches:

post-2090-1236729407.jpg post-2090-1236729416.jpg

Here is a link to my portfolio on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonmryan/sets...57594227321348/

Its most of my recent work, carved, fabricated and cast pieces.

There is a lot of good information on this site. I look forward to learning from everyone, and contributing if I can.

Jon

Welcome to the forum Jon!

Thanks for the photos of your work, they are interesting. What scale or size are we looking at? How are these pieces made? Fabricated, carved...? I could ask more questions, but will hold off for now. I look forward to your contributions here on The Carving Path.

Janel

Both the pieces are brooches. The one on the left is 3" high, one on the right is about 2" high. Both are about 1/2" thick. They are carved and anodized aluminum. The pinbacks are hand fabricated sterling silver and attached with screws.

Archived