Hello everyone

GinoDiAVonti

Hi everyone. I found your site while searching for corian carving, etc. And ran across these 2006 messages from your boards:

http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/lofive...x.php/t671.html

I can answer a lot of the questions for you, if you're interested. Back in 1985 I went to a Dupont show at Epcot center and introduced them to their own product, corian-carved. The great thing about carving corian is that the more shallow the carving becomes, it can be backlit. Imagine a triptych backlit. Cool, huh? :blush:

One user had called it plastic. Actually, corian is 85% aluminum oxide, and the remainder is polymers.

The downfall to carving it is that those with weak wrists will end up with carpal tunnel. It did eventually deform my right index finger, by curving it and creating a bony knot at the middle joint.

If anyone is interested in learning anymore about it, please email me at ginodiavonti@gmail.com. You can see some of the pieces I'ved carved and backlit at

http://www.ginodiavonti.com

I'm always glads to help a fellow artist, and since 85', I have taught one woman and one man my techniques.

Sincerely,

Gino DiAVonti

Fellow Artist and Sculptor

Hello Gino,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum! Thank you for your good comments about corian as a carving material. You are right about its hardness being an issue. Having carved mammoth tusk occasionally, I do understand how tiring it can be. Carpal tunnel syndrome is not a good thing to develop. Did you do all of the carving by hand or was the use of power driven tools used in addition to hand tools?

I have imagined the translucence of corian as a useful element in the carved materials. From earlier centuries, cast paper panes formed over relief carvings would have a look similar to the corain in its ability to show light through the thinner parts of the imagery.

Again, welcome to the forum,

Janel

Archived