wooden chain bracelet

mas83

Welcome to The Carving Path mas83!

Are both sets of links individually carved (horizontal and vertical)? Are you willing to describe how you did that, besides - very carefully :blink: ? Do you carve other things as well?

Janel

Welcome to The Carving Path mas83!

Are both sets of links individually carved (horizontal and vertical)? Are you willing to describe how you did that, besides - very carefully :blink: ? Do you carve other things as well?

Janel

Sure I am willing to describe how. It was fun. I like carving chains the most but I've carved other little things like whistles.

First I found a nice knot free section of a stick of a hardwood and trimmed off some of the excess with a hacksaw, leaving a handle.

1E71S.jpg

I finished shaping the blank with my pocketknife. Once the blank was the right shape I could envision it's future shape a little more clearly, and I decided where to put the links. At this point I'm still using my pocketknife.

1E7A4.jpg

Using the pocketknife in combination with the exacto for some tough spots, the outline of the links began to show.

1E7CW.jpg

Eventually it was time for the insides of the links, which wore though tips of exacto blades very fast. I start with separating the links where the meet on their insides, then separating them where they meet on their outsides. The same amount of progress is made on each link to keep it as strong as possible until the links are ready to be broken apart.

1E7L8.jpg

once the handle became more of a nuisance I removed it and had a nice convenient project to carry with me wherever I went.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm well my biggest tip is to do as much finishing to the the shape of the links as you can before you separate them because they are a lot harder to hold when they're loose. thanks for the appreciation, give it a try! Sizing is still sort of a guess for me but you might want to err on the side of too big.

*oh and the whole thing took me about a month and a half and I was working on it everyday. still not really finished actually.

Archived