hooked knives

Nelson Lepine

Thanks for that link, Nelson.

I wasn't aware of this company. I have been using hooked or "crooked" knives for many years. At first, I made my own, since there were none available commercially. The last knives that I acquired were from Preferred Edge, A company in BC. You can see their website here: preferred edge It was actually Mike Komick who gave me a little piece of yellow cedar to try out.

It takes a little getting used to at first, but you are right, it really does change the way in which you carve, and opens up many possibilities for clearing wood, undercutting, and cleaning up that are just not as easy with traditional European style tools.

The knives work well on both soft and hard woods, as any carving knives, but the standard commercially available ones are probably a bit large for doing really small work.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

Attached below is a photo ( I hope it is clear enough) of a young man using a hooked knife. This photo is from the following book:

Learning By Doing Northwest Coast Native Indian Art, by Karin Clark and Jim Gilbert; Raven Publishing, B.C. Canada. (www.ravenpublishing.com)

As Phil White said, hooked knives are generally used for larger pieces. I have a hooked knife that I've used only once or twice because I found it unwieldy and a bit dangerous. However, I do have a Flexcut Carvin' Jack (www.flexcut.com) that has a several curved or hooked blades. I use it often and I still have all ten digits. They also have fixed handle knives. The Carvin' Jack is smaller than standard hooked knives and can be used for smaller pieces. Still, in my mind, a palm chisel provides the best control for small pieces.

Have fun carving,

E George

post-152-1249182782.jpg

Archived