Wood Releif Carving

Woodworm

This Eagle is carved as an experiment.

The wood is (MDF) and the finish is latex paint both gold and bronze.

The Frame is sponge ruffed with black latex paint.

Overall coating is three layers of latex shellac.

The experiment was to see how the MDF would respond to both hand gouges and a Dremel tool with asst. bits etc.

The finish was to see if I could bring the whole subject into the illusion of a copper tooling.

The Eagle was a blown up picture from an old calendar page I found in the trash and the outline (head, wings body, tail)traced onto the plate with carbon paper.

All the detail was done free hand as the picture was in bad shape. The background, was created as I went.

(I just winged it, if you will pardon the pun.)

post-2117-1238993669.jpg

Thanks for your compliments.

MDF carves beautifuly in my opinion, but the detail can rub off on you if you are not careful as it is soft.

You must consider carving from center outward.

Once you apply your finish, it stabalizes and becomes quite hard.

Oils from what I am told will "blotch" due to the inconsistancies of the glue resins used.

Plan on a paint finish.

Also -- remember MDF is manmade (sawdust and glue) and therefore to my knowledge a carcinogenic (s/p) ? property may exist in the dust you create. (Wear a good quality dust mask.) I use a full nose and mouth mask that has replaceable filter cups. Well worth the money.

Be aware that the dust from Oak is also carcinogenic.

Perhaps other woods carry the same factor. (A topic thread on these dangers may be a good idea if one does not exist here.)

The dust from Purpleheart really make my nose run.

Sorry , I am drifting.

Stropping ??? -- that is a constant with me. As soon as I feel a little resistance I touch up.

Or if my cut is not as clean as I like as I go.

I was once told by an old fellow -- he who has a dull tool, is one.

Now I'm the old fellow -- with sharp tools.

Have good day.

Thanks for your compliments.

Stropping ??? -- that is a constant with me. As soon as I feel a little resistance I touch up.

Or if my cut is not as clean as I like as I go.

I was once told by an old fellow -- he who has a dull tool, is one.

Now I'm the old fellow -- with sharp tools.

Have good day.

Good rule to live by, I was told that a carver is a sharpener first. I guess my question should have been, "Did you find yourself stropping MORE often than normal with this product?"

Thanks,

Sean

Sean,

To be truthful, I never really noticed that.

I think the reality is I tend to pick up my honeing stone after I have carved a bit without giving it much thought.

I probably hone/strop more than what is required but I havent worn a hand tool out yet doing so.

And most of my tools are older than I am.

As an additional thought -- the old fellow I talked about (now long gone) showed me how to test what I was sharpening against my thumbnail. If it caught cleanly it would snag. If not sharp it would glide over the nail and not catch.

But -- one must be careful, most tools are sharp enough to cut at anytime.

Woodworm

Glad to see someone else experimenting with MDF. :)

I have tried it with mixed results. It doesn't take detail very well but within its limits it works well.

Any one who tries MDF PLEASE be very careful as the dust is definitely harmful. The only safe way to work with MDF is a good quality mask and good extraction that filters down to 0.5 microns if the air is recycled. The best is extraction outside!

A most attractive panel :D

Toothy

Thanks Toothy,

And yes, it is good to be aware of some of the dangers wood (or man made products) can pass to us.

I was unaware of the .5 micron rule, so I will be checking out my mask specs.

Thx for that heads up on that. Much appreciated.

I have four more MDF panels coming in this week , an new project in mind. But summers coming so it will be time to fire up the pot-belly in the gazebo and start my carving closer to nature.

And I agree on the detail retention that MDF is not good for.

I will never do anything with feathers in MDF again.

And definately nothing with hair.

Archived