recent work

arman

Hi Everyone

Here are some of my recent waxwork that I have worked on over the last two years.

Dragon belt buckle was made of two separate pieces for better moulding and casting results.

Chief belt buckle was also made two separate pieces (wing like structure in green wax)

Frankie and the werewolf are 20 mm in size

Flamingmouth was carved on green wax then it was moulded to duplicate the other sıde of the ring.

Blinded ring was done in a same way.

Mouse beltbuckle was worked with two different waxes but cast in one piece.

Knoted dragon belt buckle is a reproduction of an chinese archeological find that I saw in an auction catalog,the texturing and the engraving is done afterward in metal.

The rings and the portraits are made for a customer the rest are my production.

Best regards to you all

Arman

post-2082-1239085054.jpg

post-2082-1239085112.jpg

post-2082-1239085139.jpg

post-2082-1239085162.jpg

post-2082-1239085211.jpg

post-2082-1239085244.jpg

post-2082-1239085270.jpg

post-2082-1239085294.jpg

This is all becoming very interesting to me.

To begin with, the artisitc talent shown here (and elsewhere on this forum I may add) is stunning.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this process, yet when I do a search for "lost wax" I come up empty.

Is there another name for it?

Also, I assume you melt metal.

I will keep this short by simply asking, where do I find out the complete process of this art?

From getting the wax to what tools are needed to "smelt" (if that is the right word.)

Is that information here on this forum?

I certainly know the inspiration is.

Hi all, it's a very nice work. I like the dragon. Is the red wax better to carve? I see that you do little pieces with, is-it easely with the red wax?

Hi Sergio

Thank you ,I must say I loved your coicarp ring I came a cross while I was browesing on the site ,really nice piece.

About the red wax ,is actually the softest of the three or four colour that exist.İt carves easaly it doesnt hold detail as much as the green hard one does.I personally dont like working with only red firstly because under the light that red actually gows and tires your eyes I use it on to green or purple base work to define better the details that I add like eyes nails etc.Pretty much any detail that you need to add .

This is all becoming very interesting to me.

To begin with, the artisitc talent shown here (and elsewhere on this forum I may add) is stunning.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this process, yet when I do a search for "lost wax" I come up empty.

Is there another name for it?

Also, I assume you melt metal.

I will keep this short by simply asking, where do I find out the complete process of this art?

From getting the wax to what tools are needed to "smelt" (if that is the right word.)

Is that information here on this forum?

I certainly know the inspiration is.

Hi Woodworm

Firstly thank you for your comments.

About the lost wax technic or wax carving there are afew good books on amazon if you type them in to the search engine.One of them by a japanese guy its quıet explanatory with pictures model making in progress but mainly jewellery models but gives you agood idea wha is possible to do with this working method.About the materials there are afew modelling wax producers they do produce mainly for jewellery market but they have also big sculpting size blocks but you have to check it. their names are Kerr, Freeman, Matt and Ferris Kerr and Matt I used it mainly their formula is good matt has more nylon in it so it gives beter and smoother finish,kerr is harder hold a good detail for figurative work i prefer matt or the ferris purple .

Tools usual jewellery making tools,like burs and files maybe only rougher cuts so wax doesnt block the teeth,for sculpting dental tools or if you check Rio grande catalog they have everything you need under the sun for wax carving also a wax pen or wax melting pen to add and solder the wax.

Turn what you do in to metal is awhole different ball game nor maly you give your piece to caster that does it for you because casting process is very complex it is mail done with centrefuge or vacumm casting processes (this is for smaller pieces) for bigger things yo need to go to special foundaries.

I hope this gives you sme idea abot wax carving it is a very fun material to work with .

Good work

Arman

Thank you for showing these. I look forward to seeing them completed. Will they all be cast from silver?

Janel

Hi Janel

You welcome,big dragon I do it in bronz mouse was done in silver the other ones were given to customer as wax models for them to produce in gold or silver.

I will post the finished versions of the afew once I sized it down the images.

Arman

Hi all. Thank you Arman, i think i understand why you used the red wax. If i can, i try to carve these red wax. I hope we will see all your pieces when they are finished. (Especialy the dragon) Can you tell us what sort of tools you used, please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Here are the two finished versions of the carvings that I have posted recently.

Dragon is cast in bronze and patinated black and holds a silver obsidian stone in its claw.

Chief is done in silver and polished and matt finish .

The mouse belt buckle you can see in my website www.armansuciyan.com

Other ones were done for a customer as a wax model I dont have their finished version photos unfortunately.

About the tools that I use:Pretty much I use all kinds of dentistry tools ,rifler files , burs ,abrasive rubber wheels etc.To polish I use glass fiber pens and sticks finaly to give a fine finish I use lighter liquıd and vaseline with cotton wool and apply it to surface after fine sanding and brushing with glass pen.You can also use a soft cloth to this aswell.

post-2082-1240091226.jpg

Archived