Recent work in bone

Brent Duty

Here are a few pieces that I've been working on lately. I'm still a novice and wouldn't mind some critique if you have the time.

I used a tea stain mixed with whitening first with peroxide. The whole shank was stained before cutting out. I love how sometimes a stain can have unexpected results. This hook is a Hawaiian design that was done originally in what looks to be sea turtle shell. It was in the Bishop Museum on Oahu.

post-1679-1239483898.jpg

post-1679-1239483913.jpg

This is a classic Makau (Hawaiian Hook) design a gentleman had tattooed on his arm and wanted a real hook to match.

I whitened it with peroxide and I dipped it in mineral oil to give it an ivory look.

post-1679-1239483953.jpg

post-1679-1239483964.jpg

post-1679-1239483978.jpg

post-1679-1239483988.jpg

This design was supposed to have a wave and two dolphins with a Kanji symbol in it. It was a bit difficult for me because I usually make just one piece and making an identical piece tested my skill a bit. Also it took the customer a week to decide whether to trust me with the wave and sense the drawing is always different than the actual carved piece. I was slightly irritated at the notion that I didn't know how to draw a wave correctly. Slightly because I've been a surfer for 15+ years and have been marking up desks with visions of waves since I was able to hold a pencil.

post-1679-1239484013.jpg

post-1679-1239484025.jpg

post-1679-1239484039.jpg

This a Koru (Maori fern) that was made for my wife's friend who had just had a baby. It was an accident that I ended up incorporating wood into the piece. I wanted to give it more thickness and I had just received some wood from a good friend and knife maker Dan Mink.

I cut the koru in half (carefully with a hand saw) after I carved it out. I inserted the maple and glued it up with super glue(probably should have used epoxy) then I cut the maple out as needed sanded it and sealed it with more super glue. I used waxed nylon rope and a ridge knot to accent the piece.

post-1679-1239484236.jpg

post-1679-1239484250.jpg

Great work! I never thought of using peroxide as a bleaching agent. The first hook is my fave! What kind of tools did you use to carve them? Did you use motorized tools? Or did you do it all by hand?

Um... these pictures are HUGE. Janel (along with other people) might not be able to load this page before the next ice age.

Great work! I never thought of using peroxide as a bleaching agent. The first hook is my fave! What kind of tools did you use to carve them? Did you use motorized tools? Or did you do it all by hand?

Um... these pictures are HUGE. Janel (along with other people) might not be able to load this page before the next ice age.

Thanks Calvin! Peroxide is a great way to whiten bones without the harsh fumes that chlorine bleach produces. I use a rotary tool to rough it out then I use my files, low grit sandpaper as well as my gravers.

If you can believe it I actually did resize them :blush:

Very nice work. Thanks for the tip on bleaching bone. I carve deer antler and it looks almost like your bone. I haven't had to bleach any yet, but it's good to know you can. I use Kiwi shoe polish to color my antler sometimes. Heat the antler a little and it sets the color.

Thanks for sharing.

Brent,

I think your carvings look nice and the finish is excellent as well.

I need help with the later. Mostly more motivation as that's not the fun part.

John

yea its hard to see things getting finishd sometimes but theres joy in the finished work ....nice finish to this bone work :mellow:

Very nice work. Thanks for the tip on bleaching bone. I carve deer antler and it looks almost like your bone. I haven't had to bleach any yet, but it's good to know you can. I use Kiwi shoe polish to color my antler sometimes. Heat the antler a little and it sets the color.

Thanks for sharing.

Don thanks for the Kiwi shoe polish tip I'll try it. Do you use water to heat up the bone?

Hi ya

Great pieces!

I haven't even attempted to do lashings as I think you need to really practise this and time is needed to do this! I'm short on this item. Also you might want to look at "Renaissance Wax" as a polish sealer for your pieces. Wax I just heat the bone with a heat gun and apply the wax then hand buff when cooled. When you heat the bone it tends to open the structure of the bone and the wax is absorbed into the bone. I also use this technique when doing scrimshaw to seal the bone so that colours don't bleed into the bone when inking in the image.

This is a link to where I have some of my pieces for sale.

Visit My Shop

................................................................................

"If your not learning something new today your not alive"

"To imagine is to create, to create with audacity and tenacity you will succeed."

post-1873-1240759595.jpg

Scrimshaw of an Emu

post-1873-1240759556.jpg

Peek-a-boo

This is an attempt at carving an image into the bone without taking any of the excess off. There is a name for this technique but I can't think of it at the moment. Does anyone know the name? Since this photo I have added some staining to help highlight the image.

post-1873-1240760686.jpg

This is an attempt at carving an image into the bone without taking any of the excess off. There is a name for this technique but I can't think of it at the moment. Does anyone know the name? Since this photo I have added some staining to help highlight the image.

post-1873-1240760686.jpg

wow cool work ... looks like a type of relife carving ... its somthing iv been thinking of doing in "pounamu" might give it a go ...any tips you could pass on??

Brent. I like your work, and your finishes - smooth as silk.

Thanks Mike! I really like your paintings, I like the sketching and the colors are powerful. The horse one I like best, I can see the Dali influence on some of them. Now I'm going to break out the paint and brushes!

Archived