Celtic Knotwork

tsterling

Here are a few of the Celtic items we’ve created. Most of my Celtic work involves pyrography (woodburning). This is a time and cost move, since carving all those little over and under ribbons adds dramatically to the time (and, hence, the cost of the item). You can find a small tutorial about celtic knotwork and pyrography on my web site. Here’s the link:

http://www.sterlingsculptures.com/Resource...yrography_1.htm

Brain and eye exercise! (I went to the linked page) Do you have any idea what the dots are going to give you when you are first setting up the number of dots on the lines? Thank you for the enlightening step by step tutorial.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim and Janel!

Yes, after a little while you begin to get a feel for what the design dots will yield. Especially with the small scale work we tend to do, there aren't that many different iterations that provide both a workable scale and attractive look. There is a practical limit as to how small the pyrography tools can work. If you start working in larger dimensions (as in a sheet of paper), of course the possibilities expand dramatically.

I sometimes find the enforced discipline and symmetry of the knotwork and pyrography is a relaxing change from the more “freeform(?)†and challenging aspects of true 3D carving.

Archived