nz jade carving

reefdragon

post-2125-1240233988.jpgyea hi just joined ,having a korero[talk ]with a jade carver the other day about motif ,ideas ,symbols realy made me think that carving is about personal discovery as much as making some representaion of the past or future,its what that motif says to you or how it relates to you maby ????i dont realy know yet but whats you though on the subject

Carving is one of my creative forms of expression. I found that I have been on a journey of self discovery since I started carving. Maybe it's just my way of making sense of the world around me. No matter how complicated humans make things we are all only a moment of shade under a passing cloud compared to the universe around us.

I ask the material I use permission for a compromise between releasing itself from it's current form and the shape I need to carve. I have an idea and a source I draw upon for my carvings. I am mostly surprised at the outcome even though I have been staring at a piece for days and sometimes weeks. I used to search for originality until I realized there is no such thing only copies like ourselves an evolution of truth. Pablo Picasso said,"Art is not the truth. Art is a lie that helps us find the truth."

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting work reef dragon! I like the level and approach to your art!

thanks nelson ..had a look at your moon dancer .. good movement in body ..powerful face... good contrast between the too..did you finish it with a knife???

• 1 month later...

Archived