Dorsa Carvings

dorsa

I am new and my english is not good :)

In this topic I want show you carving symbol in stone .

first I selected a suitable stone.

21250713.jpg

and them draw the symbol

36211393.jpg

remove extra parts

46013322.jpg

Unfortunately there was a flaw in stone and when I removed stone around the design the tail of snakes broke.

and I cut it.

53013422.jpg

and next the shape and body of snakes and heart appears.

45276153.jpg

and more details

24205255.jpg

and backside

67706978.jpg

and semi finish ready for setup of precious stone on body of snake and making a hole on top.

79591867.jpg

hope this was useful

dorsa

Hello Dorsa,

Welcome to The Carving Path Forum! Thank you for the introduction of your work by posting a stone carving tutorial. Is the stone a softer kind or very hard? What tools do you use?

I am curious about where you are from. Is Persepolis in Iran? I agree with Mike, your written English is very good and easy to understand. Many thanks to you for sharing your information with us by using English language.

Janel

Hello Dorsa,

Welcome to The Carving Path Forum! Thank you for the introduction of your work by posting a stone carving tutorial. Is the stone a softer kind or very hard? What tools do you use?

I am curious about where you are from. Is Persepolis in Iran? I agree with Mike, your written English is very good and easy to understand. Many thanks to you for sharing your information with us by using English language.

Janel

Thanks Janel.

The hardness of this stone is like lapis lazuli something around 5-5.5 mohs and semi hard the special bright dark gray color of this stone after polishing make it useful for jewels but with other precious stones ...

Yes Persepolis is in Iran and then I am from there .

I am not a carver I do it just for fun hope my works help others .

for carving I use steel pins and hammer next micromotor and diamond bur an at end diamond files and sand paper and different polish powders.

I know my works isn't professional but I try to learn more and use others experiences .

dorsa

OK this is a very very simple way to carving from clay to stone.

unfortunately I forgot take photos from primary stone and the clay creation cameo.

I have to photos.

I used the clay of my kid to create primary style of a lion face as you can see in photo.

I create the clay cameo of lion less than 5 min by a kitchen knife the quality is low but still it can show us something about itself.

first I expand the clay as a thick layer next by pressing clay the lion face appeared I repeat it "just by pressing" .

81663197.jpg

this procedure give us this idea the position of lion face individual parts and how and when remove extra parts similarly in stone.

and at end you can see the finished neck pendant

(white solomon agate)without it's silver frame and ruby eye.

62241515.jpg

yes two sculptures (lion in clay and lion in stone) are different but the bases is the same.

I hope this give you some idea about clay to stone.

OK in this carving I'll show you in progress carving of a snake.

I used that black stone for carving in below photo you can see first stage of carving :

Just removing extra parts.

80571906.jpg

with every progress I'll put images .

Dorsa

Well at this time we shape the body of snake as you can see in below photo :

95840441.jpg

the carving is totally rough but the overall figure is clear this is the base of work. after

this stage we just do fine work to appearing other parts of snake's body.

Dorsa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now this is the stage : polishing

you can see semi polished body of snake .

There is some extra work for finishing like snake skin and setup some precious stone and silver frame ...

62925.jpg

I hope this carving give you some Idea.

• 4 weeks later...

This carving is apart of cane . the head of cane has two part :

1- lion head (lapis lazuli)

2- Silver/Gold frame for lion head

I just carved the lion head and unfortunately have not any Idea about the rest of cane(I am not owner).

I guess this cane is somewhat precious and the owner never use it for walking :o .

OK first step for carving is drawing the lion face and removing extra part as you can see in below Images.

From besides :

54856445.jpg

From head on :

52333194.jpg

As you can see this carving is very simple and easy . One of mu friend gave me this Rubble as a gift.

the quality of stone is soso but is useful for cane. Totally the Lapis Azuli stone carving is easy it is not very hard (5 mohs) and something like ivory a little harder. The best source of Lapis is Afghanistan that this country is located east of Iran and we can easily obtain it . the price of rough stone with respect to quality differ from 10$ to 100$ per Kg .

I used Lapis as base stone for this carving because this stone in our culture is very important not only for carving but also for painting . you can find existence of it in precious carving and painting from "Achaemenid" Empire (550–330 BC) till now.

anyway I hope this give you new Idea.

Dorsa

Dorsa, awesome carvings brother. The snakes with entwined tails reminds me of the caduceus, symbolic of the DNA double helix and the rising of consciousness. Are there any legends in Iran regarding the sons of the serpent? I wish I knew more about your culture, but I'm afraid what is portrayed by western media is not very accurate. Great to see your work.

Archived