Greetings!

bonecarver

Hello all...I'm very happy to have found a community I have needed for years...and years...

My name is Josh...I've been carving for...well I really don't know...but at least 10 years. Mainly pendants and jewelery...with some sculpture for flavor.

I'm very happy to have stumbled across The Carving Path...sitting in my workshop I didn't realize there was a forum quite like this to spread/absorb knowledge...it's a good thing...

post-2-1242423150.jpg

You've spent your time well. How long did that take to carve?

Everything I do takes three times my best estimate. I've been getting a good start/learning for a bit over two years now and I'm amazed how hard it to get a project to the finish.

John

You've spent your time well. How long did that take to carve?

Everything I do takes three times my best estimate. I've been getting a good start/learning for a bit over two years now and I'm amazed how hard it to get a project to the finish.

John

Hi John...and thank you!

I've never been good at keeping track of time spent carving...I need to keep a log or something as it helps with pricing...at a guess I'd say 20hrs with the jade (Wyoming "apple green")...

Finishing projects is the bane of all existence...I have a box full of carvings that for whatever reason failed to make it to the "finished" box...my wife has a similar box...we call them "The Box of Lost Souls"...

Nice to meet you John!

...Josh

Hello and thank you Jim and Brent.

Materials...bone, mammoth tusk, whale bone (when I can find it...), St Lawrence walrus (when I can find/afford it), buffalo horn, jade (only simple shapes, my lapidary kit is bare bones)

I am interested in trying netsuke carving...but I'm not sure where to start...

Hey there bonecarver.

I just had a look at your website. Very cool. I'm pretty new to carving myself, only been at it for about 4 months. I mainly make hei matau(fishhook) carvings. I'm slowly building up my collection of tools, just got some files!! One thing I cant seem to find is nice necklace material. I love the traditional style bindings that they do on the fishhook. What material do you use for your necklace's? Do you braid them yourself, etc? Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Damien

post-2160-1242588552.jpg

post-2160-1242588565.jpg

Hi Damien...

I spent a long time looking for quality cordage but eventually came to the realization that the finished product is more valuable than the time spent looking for shortcuts...I braid my cordage using the Japanese "Kumihimo" technique...I use from 8 to 64 strands and sometimes more...although time consuming...I feel it sets off each carving as you pick each element of the cord...color...braid style...size...texture...I feel it adds another facet of vision to each uniquie piece...

The materials I use for braiding are mainly nylon products easily found online...nymo...C-lon...silimide are types of nylon thread available in a huge variety of colors...if your in need a local fabric store will have upholstry thread (bonded nylon)...spectra fishing line will create a silky soft pliable cord...but is not available in very many colors...

There are invaluable books to help with all aspects of learning and braiding Kumihimo...Jaqui Carey's book "Beginners guide to braiding Kumihimo" will teach you everything you need to know about the marudai...

It looks like your doing very well for only starting a short time ago...I would recommend one book above all..."Bone Carving: A Skillbase of Techniques and Concepts" by Stephen Myhre...unfortunately I found this book after I'd been carving for years...so I had to learn on my own many of the things he talks about in this book...braiding included...

I hope this helps Damien! Don't hesitate to let me know if you have more questions...

...Josh

Hello Josh,

Welcome to this site. I haven't been on here for a while - but I check in now and then - I really like this piece! The flow of the lines and the integration of the jade - all very refined and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the information on the kumihimo I have been wanting to try some myself.

Blessings,

Magnus

Thank you Magnus...

This is such a great forum! I had no idea such a place existed...

Kumihimo is time consuming and underappreciated (until the viewer realizes the amount of focus and dedication required)...but I feel the pride of custom craftsmanship each time I call a piece done.

I've put up a couple more pictures of recent pieces in the "new work" forum...I'd love to know what you think.

Nice to meet you Magnus!

• 4 weeks later...

Dude, I think I've started a box of lost souls. I just took a look at your site, cool original ideas. I'm interested to know more about the cords you make, any resources on material and technique as well as close up images of cording would be appreciated. Like Stephen Myhre says in his book, the relationship between a carving and its lashing is an important one. I believe it is important to lash a finished piece with the same care it took to carve it. Any unique ideas you would be willing to share would be awesome.

• 2 months later...

Archived