New to a forumof any kind

rockhunter

Hi my name is John

I usually carve in wood or gems. Sorry if I mess up in using the computer so please bear with me.I am a pilot, a scuba diver , which I don't do anymore because of age.I however do still cut gems and carve them, also woodcarve, and sometimes scrimshaw in ivory. Enjoy the desert where i live and go on hikes, while looking for stones.

Hi Rockhunter:

I, too, carve gemstones. I also carve wood, tongua nuts, bone and tusk. Look at my posting in Who's Who in February around the 5th. I am not very internet literate and don't know how to insert a link. It took me hours to figure out how to put up the photo.

I also work in metal, primarily to set the stones that I've carved. What part of the world are you in and what kind of rocks are you finding? I'm in Houston, Texas so I have to buy most of what I carve.

Good luck and good carving.

Debbie K.

Hi Rockhunter:

I, too, carve gemstones. I also carve wood, tongua nuts, bone and tusk. Look at my posting in Who's Who in February around the 5th. I am not very internet literate and don't know how to insert a link. It took me hours to figure out how to put up the photo.

I also work in metal, primarily to set the stones that I've carved. What part of the world are you in and what kind of rocks are you finding? I'm in Houston, Texas so I have to buy most of what I carve.

Good luck and good carving.

Debbie K.

Hi Debbie

I'm in T or C NM, just past El Paso Tx. and north about an hour on I 25. I carve imperial jasper, oregon sunstone, some ice cream opal, and a few other stones.Maybe when i figure out how to put a photo on thing here i'll do it. I just took a class in silver smithing so I can set a few of the stones I have faceted. I picked up a lot of my supply of stones while i was traveling in a fifth wheel trailor.

Hi rockhunter,

I see you're a pilot too. Fixed or rotorwing? I'm a heli pilot here in California. Welcome to the forum!!

Damien

I flew a cessna 175 for a few years till I had a heart attack. Still wish I could do some but can't pass the physical.Best wishe's on your continued good luck. Also thanks for the welcome.

• 1 year later...
Hi Debbie

I'm in T or C NM, just past El Paso Tx. and north about an hour on I 25. I carve imperial jasper, oregon sunstone, some ice cream opal, and a few other stones.Maybe when i figure out how to put a photo on thing here i'll do it. I just took a class in silver smithing so I can set a few of the stones I have faceted. I picked up a lot of my supply of stones while i was traveling in a fifth wheel trailor.

hello rockhunter,i have not been on the forum very long and am trying to catch up on allof the posts.if you live in N.M.a good contact for you would be Daniel Lopacki.he is a gem carver and lives at Cliff,N.M.he is always willing to talk about gem carving and he also sells diamond carving tools.they are pretty good tools.i have been buying from him for years now.best regards,ken

John,

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a pilot that can longer pass his phisical. I built and flew a VariEze which I still have. I'm doing better than 3-4 years back and might be able to fly again if I work hard.

Carving reminds me of downhill skiing, flying or any other activity where you carve your turns and takes as much focus. The focus is what I crave and love.

John

Archived