Reliquary for the Four Elements

tsterling

This seems to have come about after a night with some bad pizza. It's a fantasy reliquary created by hand-forging, engraving and texturing low-carbon simple steel and copper; hand-forged and textured copper helmet with handmade copper chain maille, carved bird skull from moose antler, hand carved basilisk egg from moose antler with double inlaid amber eye, hand-forged copper closure and furniture, 24k gold leaf. The reliquary itself (not counting the glass dome and pedestal) is 4 1/2 inches tall (11.4cm). Lately I've been enjoying surfing for examples of medieval European religious reliquary art, so this probably owes a bit to that, along with some interesting steampunk I've seen as well...

post-11-1243200424.jpgpost-11-1243200438.jpgpost-11-1243200447.jpgpost-11-1243200454.jpgpost-11-1243200461.jpgpost-11-1243200467.jpgpost-11-1243200473.jpgpost-11-1243200479.jpgpost-11-1243200485.jpg

Here's the art propaganda for it: Earth, Air, Water and Fire, the four elements of the ancient world. Runes for Earth, Water and Fire are inscribed around the rim of the reliquary. Locked safely away, the Reliquary contains the egg of a rooster, in mythology the source of a basilisk, a creature of unspeakable power, whose glare turns the viewer to stone.

Thanks for looking!

I have to admit, that is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Now that I have that out of the way, it is also unique and quite creative. And I do like it.

(If you will pardon the pun).

If I had a glass eye -- that is where I would store it, just to keep the grandkids from robbing me blind.

ps -- it downloaded just great for me on dial up. Thx.

I always find reliquaries and the worship of old bones slightly scary and sad. This piece encapsulates and enhances that feeling with its sense of uncompromising "brutalism" surrounding the delicacy of the bird's skull and the egg - a real memento mori!

Well done, Tom!

Dear Tom !

Congratulation to this outstanding composition !!!

It seems to be, that you have given all your different skills into a melting pot

and together with your extraordinary idea, a really great composition is

coming alive. I very like it !

Thank You, Cornel

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Glad you like my bizarre little creation - I enjoyed making it, although the metalwork was a bit off my usual range, and something of a challenge, especially forming and fitting the helmet to the bird skull.

Just feeding what is becoming a bad metal habit - and I'm not sure there is a cure or even a positive prognosis...but I guess I could be involved in worse things!

Archived