Hi from Jason Tweedie

Jason Tweedie

post-2173-1243918538.jpg

Latest commission: New Zealand Taditional Tiki Sculpture 2009 (materials: NZ Jade, Paua)

Hi...Jason Tweedie here...I'm one of the latest editions to the site, found it while surfing the other day and thought it looked to be usefull and inspirational.

I'm working this out as I go..first time and all...hopefully get it right!

I am a sculptor/carver for life and graphic designer for $$$, mainly working with hard stone, eg Jade, Agate and many other of earths treasures. I also get my gouges out every now and then for larger sculptural works in wood. I have been creative in many areas for the duration of my life, finally ending up in the realm of scupture. 3d luv it!

I was born in New Zealand and I live and work in Brisbane, Australia at present.

My inspiration comes from nature and her many forms and shapes, traditional native cultures, and exploration of "truth to the material" looking for inner qualites like translucence, colour, shape etc. Recently I have been making commisions so as to the prescribed design you see in the Tiki...but now it is time to get back to the shed for some non-designed playtime!! Yeah!

Cheers, Jason

post-2173-1243919657.jpg

post-2173-1243919857.jpg

post-2173-1243919868.jpg

post-2173-1243919883.jpg

Welcome Jason. Beautiful work. Very stylish and refined.

Can you tell us the significance of the Tiki?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome...had a quick look at your sight...and all I can say is you are a seeker of Zen like myself....luv the spot where you are sitting in front of the waterfall...is that your back yard. Beautifully refined and executed work mate...there really are some creative people hidden in this world.

The significance of the Tiki...there are many meanings behind this sacred object..the main one being a fertility charm...another to be the first human...passed down through generations gaining more Mana (power) from the one owner to the next. I was commissioned for this piece by a Metalab gallery in Sydney and it is for a wedding gift. Check out www.metalab.com.au they are a object and jewellery gallery and you may be interested, they show some great contemporary work. I'm in the "Coast Garde" collective.

Cheers, Jason

Hi Jason,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum. I look forward to seeing what you do when you are back in the shed working from your own ideas after making these enticing pieces!

Janel

Thanks for the welcome Janel....glad to be onboard...will post more images soon. Cheers Jason

Welcome, Jason

Beautiful work! As Jim says, very refined. I really like the lines in your work, and the care in finishing.

What it the black material that you are using?

Phil

Thanks for the positive feedback Phil...just checked a couple of your posts....you do very realistic work mate (time consuming) and what a collection of wood carving tools you have...I know your dilema with the storage thing I have mine in rolls as you said, but they have been neglegted lately, as stone seems to be taking over in my work...wood is so userfriendly though! The black material I use is Australian Black Nephrite from Cowell in South Australia it is very similar to the Wyoming Black Jade in look and feel when working. Cheers Jason

Thanks, Jason,

Looks like a beautiful stone. I do a fair bit of work in stone as well, but mostly architectural sculpture in limestone, and Tyndal stone.

Yes, I still haven't solved my tool storage/accessability problem, and the number of tools has grown, but I think I have an idea, and fortunately I have a brother who is a cabinet maker. I'll post the results, if it works out.

In the mean time, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Phil

post-2173-1243918538.jpg

Latest commission: New Zealand Taditional Tiki Sculpture 2009 (materials: NZ Jade, Paua)

Hi...Jason Tweedie here...I'm one of the latest editions to the site, found it while surfing the other day and thought it looked to be usefull and inspirational.

I'm working this out as I go..first time and all...hopefully get it right!

I am a sculptor/carver for life and graphic designer for $$$, mainly working with hard stone, eg Jade, Agate and many other of earths treasures. I also get my gouges out every now and then for larger sculptural works in wood. I have been creative in many areas for the duration of my life, finally ending up in the realm of scupture. 3d luv it!

I was born in New Zealand and I live and work in Brisbane, Australia at present.

My inspiration comes from nature and her many forms and shapes, traditional native cultures, and exploration of "truth to the material" looking for inner qualites like translucence, colour, shape etc. Recently I have been making commisions so as to the prescribed design you see in the Tiki...but now it is time to get back to the shed for some non-designed playtime!! Yeah!

Cheers, Jason

post-2173-1243919657.jpg

post-2173-1243919857.jpg

post-2173-1243919868.jpg

Hi jason, welcome to the site, some very talented people here.

Its a pleasure to look everyday and see whats new.

Regards

Terry

Bribie island

Archived