Sea horse in jadeite

What a delicate subject to carve from stone! I would be so anxious the closer the work approached completion.

Could you show us a piece of this Ice Jadite before any carving is done to it? Is it a kind of stone that when polished to be shiny would it be clear like clear ice?

Do you have any photos of you at work on such small pieces? For all of the small facets in the sea horse, do you use hand held grinding tools with small bits?

Thank you for the photo and for sharing with us the work you do.

Janel

Janel: Thank you so much for your comments. This piece in particular has hard to complete because it gets really thin at the end. But the again, I take the chance and the challenge because jadeite from Guatemala can resist it... It is the toughest material and I can go very thin.

Ice Jadeite is rare, it was found in a very small amount (only 150 kg) in an original Mayan workshop by chance. And this material was selected by the Mayas (who know how many hundred years ago). This jade will be considered pure jade because it is not included with metals which are the one who give the colors to the minerals.

I have very little of this jade. Some specimens of this ice jade can be as clear and clean as glass some others like a dirty ice. Another characteristic of this stone is that it aloud the light to go through very far with in the stone (usually jadeite is opaque or aloud 1 cm the most of light to go through).

I use a Foredoom machine and a dentist machine (very helpful) and I hold the pieces with my hands.

I attached some pictures.

Regards,

Dante

post-1637-1244829395.jpg

post-1637-1244829431.jpg

post-1637-1244829645.jpg

post-1637-1244829766.jpg

Dude I wish I could watch you carve. That Jade sounds like a serious kind of treasure, deserving to be made into such exciting pieces. I just can't believe my eyes as I look through the works posted here, amazing skills. I've worked a little with Jade and have been thoroughly impressed by its beauty and acceptance to take form. The colors of jade and jadeite are so varied but Ice Jadeite is seriously cool.

Dude I wish I could watch you carve. That Jade sounds like a serious kind of treasure, deserving to be made into such exciting pieces. I just can't believe my eyes as I look through the works posted here, amazing skills. I've worked a little with Jade and have been thoroughly impressed by its beauty and acceptance to take form. The colors of jade and jadeite are so varied but Ice Jadeite is seriously cool.

Hi, yes it is a kind a of treasure! In 18 years it is the first time I got a few pieces. I work with different materials but Jadeite is my passion...

Dante

Archived