International Netsuke Society Convention

Janel

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I will be at the netsuke convention starting Thursday and gone for about a week, and I am thinking that I for once will not bring my computer along. If possible, I will check in when I get near a computer. It will be great to see netsuke, collectors and carvers again!

Tom Sterling will watch the forum and help you out if you need anything.

Janel

I have returned from the Big City, and am glad to be home in the quiet countryside and fresh air!

The netsuke convention was a rather smaller version of earlier conventions with fewer dealers and fewer collectors in attendance. Seven carvers attended: KOMADA Ryushi, MAEDA Ataru, Setsuji, SAKAI Masami, Susan Wraight, Pamela Steward-Pearson, and Janel Jacobson. Having time to share conversations with people was possible and much enjoyed, and seeing netsuke was always educational and much appreciated.

Janel

Hello Natasha!

I will write a chatty email to you, but have news about you to share with the forum :o.

At the INS convention, among other activities, we learned about netsuke at daily lectures in the morning, and at workshops over the mid day hours. Jeffery Klotz gave a workshop twice on contemporary carvers, where Natasha and her work were introduced to those present. Each workshop had about a dozen people attending. Mr. Klotz had prepared very well by asking a greater number of carvers to write about themselves, their inspiration and their work, and then selected a small number of artists to focus on in the workshop. He also printed photographs to show the carver's works. Well done Natasha!

In addition to the workshop, one of the morning lecturers, Neil Davey, spoke about the Attributes of Masterpieces. Again, Natasha's work was included under one of the characteristics he illustrated by showing images. Here, the whole membership of the convention was introduced to her works! Bravo Natasha!

At another time, I will try to describe briefly the outline of NEIL K. DAVEY's lecture – The Ambiguity of Masterpieces, A Personal View.

In spite of this being a smaller group of attendees, the quality of the lectures and workshops were very substantial and much enjoyed.

Janel

Archived