himotoshi placement

D.W.

Hi DW,

For others who do not know what a sashi netsuke is: Definition from the International Netsuke Society Glossary - Sashi: A long, thin netsuke, thrust through the sash, with the sagemono suspended from the end that protrudes below the obi. http://www.netsuke.org/netsuke_terminology.htm

My guess is only a guess, I have not handled sashi netsuke for quite a while. When placing the himotoshi exit hole for the cord, from which the sagemono will hang, you must consider how any netsuke will hang in relation to the obi. Sashi netsuke are made in various ways, so it is not easy to just make one answer.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsuke photo of an Obi-hasami sashi netsuke

Netsuke Online: http://netsukeonline.org/htm/gaijin_role.html partway down is a mention and photo of one sort of sashinetsuke

Two of the above netsuke have himotoshi placed in such a way that the cord and sagemono will hang from the outer side of the obi from the part that hooks over the obi. It is not possible to see the himotoshi on the Hideyuki piece.

I must apologize that I really don't know how to give you a definitive answer. I think that there are several ways to add himotoshi to sashi netsuke. Let us know how you work this one out!

Janel

Some sashi netsuke have a hook or hole carved at rhe bottom from which the sagemono can be hung. I haven't worked out whether that part shows below the obi or is tucked inside it. Depending on what is carved at the top and how much of the carving the carver/owner wants to display, the himotoshi, it looks to me on viewing a few, are drilled just below the desired display length., leaving a good length below to slip into the obi.

Some sashi netsuke have a hook or hole carved at rhe bottom from which the sagemono can be hung. I haven't worked out whether that part shows below the obi or is tucked inside it. Depending on what is carved at the top and how much of the carving the carver/owner wants to display, the himotoshi, it looks to me on viewing a few, are drilled just below the desired display length., leaving a good length below to slip into the obi.

On the style of sashi netsuke with the hook on the bottom, the hook is for the lower edge of the obi (sash), not the cord. The cord is fastened to the top portion, and hangs on the outside of the obi, opposite of the most common style of netsuke/ojime/inro combinations. Most of the netsuke is hidden behind the obi. Since most of the netsuke is hidden, that may account for why this particular style of netsuke was not very popular, hence rare today.

Many thanks for the correction, Tom. I hadn't realised, just from viewing pictures of sashi with hooks, that they had himotoshi as well.

On the himotoshi placement, wouldn't it make more sense to have them placed horizontally across the short axis?

Across the short axis sounds like it would make a weak point along the length of the material. Also, the hole placement determines how the netsuke will hang and how the cord will hang from the netsuke. Placing the exit hole on the side, the sashi netsuke would tend to hand sideways or to have sideways pressure asserted on it when in use so it is my feeling that vertical himotoshi are a more likely option.

I wish that there would be more images on the internet of sashi netsuke and of their back sides on the internet! I will go hunting... I have found some, but my internet connection is slow today (every day). Instead of uploading them, I have posed this question over on the International Netsuke Society Forum, to see if more experienced netsuke collectors may have some knowledge to share with us.

Janel

P.S. There is a Chat feature on the INS forum, but I don't know how to use it yet. ;) It might be interesting if INS members and TCP members could set up a Q&A there sometime.

On the Hideyuki piece, I think it's a safe guess to say the himotoshi is the small bamboo branch at the top, growing out of the main stalk.

I agree with Janel- We should be wary of definites when it comes to orientation, instead keeping the original purposes in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

While at the International Netsuke Society convention recently, I viewed some sashi style netsuke. I looked at them while considering the questions raised here. The himotoshi placement and useage of the sashi style netsuke varied quite a bit. Some had a hook on the bottom some were straight down on the bottom, though I believe none had a himotoshi on the bottom end or that hook. Some had a hole in an overlap on the top, or a narrowing for the cord to tie around it. In most cases, I believe that the cord hung outside the obi. Sashi style netsuke were few in proportion to the many other netsuke forms to be viewed.

As of yet, I do not know where the next convention will be, but it would be great to have more folks interested in netsuke join the society and attend the conventions. There is a great deal to be learned and so many netsuke to see!

Janel

Archived