New Work

Hello All,

Thought I'd check in and say Hi. Here's a recent custom ring - it pays the bills so I can't complain.

Here is a drawing and the beginning of a wax of a new bead - 2 inches in diameter.

I've been pleased to see all the new artists here.

Thanks Janel for your wonderful work!!

:D Blessings All :)

Magnus

post-239-1245901799.jpg

post-239-1245901818.jpg

post-239-1245901843.jpg

Hi Magnus!

:D Thanks, but it really the efforts of everyone that makes this forum a great resource for us all!

It is great to see your work again, thanks for posting the photos. Will the bead be silver or gold?

Janel

Good morning all,

Thank you so much Natasha.

Thanks as well to "Novice Carver" - I will check to see if you have posted some photos of your own work - I like your words describing the reality of the world - I quite agree.

Here's a photo of the finished wax with some talcum powder on it to help see the form (the eyes and ears and some hair detail got filled in with talc too much, but it pretty much what's going on).

I'm also putting up some photos of a stock ring I made last year since several people liked the ring I posted. Let me know what you think.

Namaste,

Magnus

post-239-1246033723.jpg

post-239-1246033944.jpg

Magnus:

Unbelievable work. I love the underside of the ring, like a secret, hidden beautiful world that only the ring-wearer has access to. I, like Dante, am curious to know if you do your castings and what kind they are and if you think that there is any difference between vacuum versus centrifigal.

Debbie

Thank you Dante and Debbie - you are both inspiring to me as well!

I use a centrigal casting setup with a propane and oxygen torch to melt my metals. I myself prefer it to vacuum casting.

Partly because I have heard that the castings are denser with the cetrifuge. The people I know who cast platinum use centrifical so that perhaps bears that theory out. Also, I just like the excitement of the centrifical method and I've done it for 35 years this way and it seems to work well.

Magnus

hi magnus, so you think is better the centrifuge , probably that's why I been having problems whit my castings I have a vacuum machine and many times I have problems ,what kind of plaster you use ,I use kerr lab sating cast is suppose to be very god , but probably is the vacuum , I buy a new centrifuge in the next week , and the talc ,is for better casting results ,do you have to do it , so is clean casting or for the plaster stuck better in the piece , is like putting silicon spray ? some people do alcohol,or soap ,down here in the jewelry field , sorry so many questions but when I see the casting result you have is lovely thanks :rolleyes:

Magnus:

I like centrifigal casting better than vacuum, too. I just use the vacuum on the investment and really large pieces. I have a Neycraft which I love. I also use Kerr Satin Cast and don't have any problems with it and have never seen any difference when I've used debubblizing agents or not.

P.S. I responded to you and Dante on my new work page and posted more photos.

Debbie

Greetings,

Thankyou Woodworm - having such warm response from fellow carvers helps me to know my work is going in the right direction. I truly feel this international forum is a "positive force" that helps to weave human kind together in a way that balances out the violence of the disfunctional elements in the world. We are a part of a growing awareness. Thank you.

Dante,

First of all - I do not use talc on waxes before casting - this was just for photographing the wax - to reduce the glare.

I clean my waxes with a soft brush and mild soapy water - then rinse with water before casting - sometimes I might use denatured alcohol as a final rinse.

Your problem with casting could come from many things - what type of problems? Porosity? Incomplete casts?

The method of investing can be the problem.Also the method of melting the metal. Also the method of spruing the wax.

I know many people who are sucessful with vacuum casting - it might not be the cause of the problems.

In August I will have time to post a detailed description of what works for me, and we can compare with Debbie K and others. In the mean time I wish you all the best in your casting - I hope you make molds of your waxes first as your work is much too nice to lose.

Blessings,

Magnus

Archived