Knotted Ridge Lashing

Brent Duty

This is a short clip of Stephen Myhre's Knotted ridge lashing from his book, "Bone Carving." I have made this in hopes it will clear up how to tie the knot and I have left out the first and last step of the process. Some will no doubt just use the video and not buy the book, but with much thought I realized not buying the book would be their mistake.

1. Make the "whipping knot." pg. 96,97

2. Lay down a loop for the end to be pulled through (see drawing) pg. 102

3. The trick is to make a loop, alternating sides each time. Take your time and tighten each loop and make sure it's uniform

Ridge Knot

(the video is HD/ Click the video to view in regular quality)

4. Pull through the end and remove the end.

I am hopeful that I will be able to view this from home. My slow land line connection may prevent me from watching until I find my way to an internet Wifi location in town. :)

It is much appreciated that two video clips have been added for this long sought after visual instruction for the lashing onto carvings. I wonder how many folks will spend their evenings trying (or tying :D ) their hands at this now that two members have shared their technique and skill with us?

Thank you Brent!

Janel

Why the wrong area? Do you think that Techniques or another forum area might be the other choice? I can move it if you wish.

Janel

You are correct it's just a Technique, not a tutorial. I didn't show the whole process. :(

• 4 weeks later...

OH MY GOODNESS! This is fantastic Brent. I've struggled with this for a long time, as you probably saw with the picture of the lashed carving that I posted. I've even gone as far as to carve a piece and get it ready to lash right up to the point of the knotted ridge and took the nearly-finished piece to the lady who runs the bead shop in the small town where I live in Arizona. She studied Chinese knotting techniques in Hong Kong for several years and I thought she might be able to figure it out so I left the carving, my copy of the Myhre book and a picture of a finished piece from the coffeewaffle blog with her. 10 days now and she still hasn't figured it out. I can't wait to go get that piece back and give your method a try. Thank you very much for posting this.

The 110+ degree Arizona summer is keeping me out of my garage workshop for a couple of months so I won't be able to do much carving until around September time, but seeing how to create this knotted ridge will open up all kinds of new carving possibilities for me. Thanks again for posting your video.

• 3 weeks later...

Desperately looking for a way to finish a maori style bone pendant for my son, I found at last :rolleyes: (after two days searching in the net)

a very good site for all kind of knots (mostly for fishing etc.). I liked very much the animated content and the practical design of that page, since

I don't possess yet the book of Stephan Myhre and don't know nothing either about knots.

So I think there is one or another knot that could be helpful for us.

Have a nice day,

Dorothea

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?...imatedknots.com

Cool site, Fox. Was it helpful?

I often looked at fishing and boating knots to try new lashings, as I did have the Stephen Myhre's book but still couldn't work out the technique. But through persistence and patience, I learn his techniques and they were so much better than anything I had used in the past.

If you have trouble getting the book, let me know as it is everywhere here in NZ. We can work something out.

Thanks, Billy.

Hey, Billy!

After I had discovered the knot site, I remembered the Search option of the forum :rolleyes:

I don't remember who had posted it, but I found the kind of lashing I needed

http://radio.weblogs.com/0128644/categorie...06/02.html#a999

The knot site will be very helpful, too, for other pieces, but also my son (he's 10 years old) was very

fascinated and tried to figure out, how they are made... So this site is also very helpful

to keep boys busy in their summer holidays ;)

This maori art (carving and lashing) is so beautiful... I will certainly try to obtain the book of Stephen

Myhre. Thank you for your proposal to help me get the book, perhaps I will need it...

Have a nice day,

Dorothea

Archived