Recent Work

Hello all,

Its been a long time since I posted here. There's been a lot of impressive work shown here lately. Glad to see the flurry of interest surrounding bone carving and pacific style designs. Here's some of what I've been working on lately. Several jade pendents (the jade koru/manaia is carved from true New Zealand Pounamu), A bone fish hook carved as a gift for a friend of mine. Also included is my first go at a semi netsuke style carving. A dogwood carving of a stylized goblin face.

Please let me know what you think! All comments questions critiques welcome.

Dustin

post-1589-1246233182.jpg

post-1589-1246233207.jpg

post-1589-1246234115.jpg

Hello Natasha,

Thank you! No the face isn't a medallion, just a face. It's my attempt at carving (exaggerated) human features in a small scale. Really, at 2 inches tall, its too large for a netsuke at least compared with most of what I see people making. The raw material for the carving was Dogwood (Do you all have Dogwood in Moldova? I thought there were European species.) It's a small tree/large bush that grows in dense thickets around here, there are any number of different varieties. The wood is really hard and tight grained, although not as much as boxwood.

Thanks,

Dustin

Hi Dustin,

I like your carvings! Very nice pounamu carving - looks like you got a good polish on this. What's your method of polishing jade? Is this material jadeite or nephrite?

I also like the face a lot - do you have a back view - is it a mask or in the round?

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Magnus

Thanks Magnus.

Pounamu is Nephrite, all the jade carvings I have pictured are nephrite. I do have some guatemalan jadeite (it took me forever to find) as well as some Burmese I aquired about ten years ago, but honestly I prefer nephrite. In fact probably my favorite stone to carve is the much under appreciated fine grained wyoming olive nephrite. Which is what the pendent in the center of picture of three pendents is.

My process for polishing is usually after i've roughed everything out with burs, I go over the carving by hand with a series of silicone carbide polishing stones from 320 up to 600 grit. Then I work the carving with progressively finer grits of automotive wet/dry emery paper backed with wood. Although lately Ive been trying to experiment with different matte textures and finishes.

The face is just a face :rolleyes: Its not hollowed out like a mask (although it probably should be).

Dustin

Thanks Dustin,

Hey - the first jade I ever carved was Wyoming jade - back in 1972. I have some wonderful black jade from there a friend of mine got a few years ago - it works extremely well - very dense and fine grained. If you can give me a source for other Wyoming jades, I'd be thrilled!

Stay well,

Magnus

Magnus,

I wish I had a better source for jade, I really do. I've slowly built my small but varied collection over time and jealously guard it :rolleyes: . Although I will say that E-bay sometimes has a surprisingly good selection of jade rough and slabs. Usually lots of lower grade Wyoming stuff and Burmese white end cuts. But sometimes the selection is surprisingly good.

Dustin

/hi as you know I like jade but I carve mostly jadeite from guatemala if you want fine grain in black ,the guatemalan black is super dense and solid but mooch harder, look in the site I post and you might have some help for wyoming jade,and maybe guatemalan to and if you need a help for guatemalan I can get you some really god stones to http://www.friendsofjade.org/jade-resources :rolleyes:

Archived