Sign in to follow this  
Velin

drummer

Hello Velin,

Thank you for posting the photo of the drummer. I have moved this topic to New work or Show & Tell. (The topic of Who's Who is for introductions.)

Here are many questions for you: Is this the natural color of the queen palm seed? Is there a cavity in the center of the seed? When you find the seeds, are they still soft or have they become very hard and dry? Do you think that the fresh seed is easier to carve than the long stored and dry seed?

Janel

Hello Velin,

Thank you for posting the photo of the drummer. I have moved this topic to New work or Show & Tell. (The topic of Who's Who is for introductions.)

Here are many questions for you: Is this the natural color of the queen palm seed? Is there a cavity in the center of the seed? When you find the seeds, are they still soft or have they become very hard and dry? Do you think that the fresh seed is easier to carve than the long stored and dry seed?

Janel

Actually I use the shells, they are really hard. The color is natural. The cavity is small, nearly no place left for the real seed. No changes when are stored.

Revised post:

I may be totally wrong about the seeds you are describing and how the shell and insides parts relate in size and thickness. My experience is only with tagua nut and a different nut/seed that I purchased at a woodworking store, both of which have a thin, dark skin and white or light-colored seed/meat that is used for carving.

I believe that the part of the seed that we carve on these nuts is the food source for the growing plant. Who among us might know the biology of palm seeds or has botanist tendencies? I think that there is a spot on each seed that should be where the root and plant begin to grow from, and that would be close or on the outside of the hard "meat" of the seed. It is my belief that the cavity inside the tagua nut/seed is caused when the seed dries upon maturity.

There so much to learn about everything!

Janel