Latest carving

Good evening everyone or morning depending on where you are.

This is my latest carved piece. It depicts the face of Hannya a female oni (Japanese demon). It also depicts here severed arm. The severed arm is part of a folktale about hannya as a Samurai that was decieved by her. he cut off her arm and kept it as a trophy. She decieved him agian and retrieved her arm. The arm is my own interpretation of a demon arm wrapped in the sleeve of her garment. The face is inspired by looking at several pictures of Hannya masks and netsuke. The parts are formed from copper with gold inlayed eyes and a shibuichi (copper and silver alloy) inlay representing the bone in her arm. The face is approximatly 11mm at its widest point.

picture_094aaa.jpg

picture_085aaa.jpg

picture_087aaaa.jpg

This piece is not what I should have been working on if you look at my backlog, but it was the strongest light and poured out of me like a natural spring. I wish all my work could flow this way.

Maybe Hannya had an influence over you to get the work done, or else....

She's not a comfortable image to dwell on, nor the story, but what a marvelous piece! The gold and shibuichi inlay work in an eerie way. The gold gleams in the first picture, creating a rather more demonic feel to the oni face.

Perhaps this will encourage the flow. Thank you for sharing!

Janel

Maybe Hannya had an influence over you to get the work done, or else....

She's not a comfortable image to dwell on, nor the story, but what a marvelous piece!  The gold and shibuichi inlay work in an eerie way.  The gold gleams in the first picture, creating a rather more demonic feel to the oni face. 

Perhaps this will encourage the flow.  Thank you for sharing!

Janel

Thanks Janel,

It is an eerie subject, but nothing strange happened while created the piece hehe. In fact this is one of those pieces where everything went right. I think I am just really enjoying getting back to more detailed carvings. It has been years since someone has ordered something like this. As it is I choose to do this it was not a commision. The freedom from order constriants is getting addictive. People like to order the same old dull stuff over and over. I am slowing my custom orders way down and concentrating more on the direction I want to progress and that really helps the flow.

Beautifuly done, Patrick. Are the raised areas inlayed or bumped from the back?

Thank you Jim,

Neither! The back wall thickness of the dome is 2mm. The carving is cut about 1mm deep and the ground is feathered out to keep the lines of the dome and give a raised appearance. This is the same techinique I used with the octopus and Iris sets. The lips and nostrils are raised some, but it was done from the outside. The arm is carved into the surface aswell, but with less feathering. More like a horimono on a blade. This type of relativly flush work has a fuctional appeal to many western martial artists. More than half of my clients actually use thier swords in some type of martial art practice. So that has some influence on things at times. I definetly want to get into multi inlay. I need to free more time by getting rid of my commision back log...

Patrick,

It's a beautiful set. Are you going to carve a tsuba to accompany them?

Dick

I wanted to make a Tsuba for this set, but time for the project was not plentiful and bills are always piling up. I have a previous commision to make a Hannya mask Tsuba. That client picked this set up from me to use with that Tsuba. I would have made something slightly different than the commision, but it all works out in the end and the client is very happy.

Guest ford hallam

Hi there Patrick,

Just thought i`d reiterate what i`d said in my e-mail to you. I think you`ve made a significant leap forward with regard to your handling of metal at this very demanding scale. i look forward to seeing many similar steps, upward and onward.

respect and regards,

Ford <_<

Archived