Mid Summer, or is it Mid Winter for the carvers?

Janel

Thanks folks,

Looking back at the past years of carving wood, it feels a little unusual for me to make several simpler pieces in a row, but these are also the first pieces that combine using lathe turned elements and carving. It is stimulating to be making different choices while still striving to make the pieces successful in their own way. I enjoy learning.

This piece is heading towards Mr. Yamada's Siebu Netsuke Exhibition in Tokyo. I am hoping that it will pass through and be delivered on time. Monday in Japan was a national holiday, so the Clearance Delay was a bit disturbing until Makiko informed me of the holiday. Now I will wait to see how Japan's Tuesday will end up.

Beautiful piece, Janel!

I'm with Magnus on the balance between positive and negative relief. It is a lovely combination. Sometimes it is the most simple designs that give the most pleasure in their creation. Really nice job finishing the ivore too, very subtle.

Well done, and best of luck on the exhibit.

Phil

What is any body doing? It has been so quiet around here! I apologize for being so absent from the forum. I do check in multiple times each day, but have not taken time to be a contributor or question asker.

My excuse has been that I am at the studio for extremely long days and nights (just back at 2:00 a.m. after 12 hours of carving :) ), trying to get pieces done for immediate deadlines and very soon to arrive deadlines. In the mean time, a graduation and going away party was planned and held for our college bound son, who had now left home to join with others from his first year college class in a nearly four-week half-credit college course of canoeing in the Wabakimi wilderness of Ontario, Canada. When they return, college classes begin, no time to return home. I now do not have time to suffer any more from the broken heart, being so busy, but last week and the day of departure were sure rough for me. This is the beginning of a new chapter in my life, having concluded the time intensive involvement of active parenting. Now, parenting will be from afar.

Once all of the work has been shipped, I will show and tell, but not yet.

So what are all of you up to? I miss seeing the work you are challenging yourselves with now.

Janel

What is any body doing?

Not very much, Janel. Our holidays are staggered, but seem to be taking up most of the summer. What with those and a 'have to' visit to family in London, there's not much time for carving. I expect to pick up again once summer's over.

Hi Janel.

I've just started a large whalebone tiki. And for the first time I've decided to take work-in-progress photos. Could be a few weeks away, but I'm looking forward to sharing the results when I can.

Thanks, Billy.

Hi Janel --- yardwork, yardwork ,yard work.

I keep doing yardwork and will do so until the furrow in my wifes brow lessens and a smile appears on her lips.

Tho my carvings are greatly different than those here, I may have an arrangement in obtaining a Buffalo Skull to carve.

Here is hoping the handshake deal goes through. If so -- nothing on that project till I get it and the snow flies and that furrow is gone.

Have a good summer all , or winter depending where you are.

Hi Janel,

Just been really busy with new baby stuff, and haven't had much time at home for any serious work. Just doing some tool-making, and re-handling a bunch of carving tools.

I did get confirmation of a new portrait sculpture commission though. I'll let you know more once the contract is confirmed in writing.

In my studio at work I am still working away on the four carved panels depicting the emblems of the Canadian Forces , and will be starting on a portrait of QEII in stone after that.

Phil

Thanks for writing about your activities. Woodworm, you are welcome to clean the eave/gutters at our house when you have a spare moment :) !

Phil, baby times, phew! I remember endless hours of enchantment of just watching and enjoying the miracle taking place as the baby grows. Ours just left our lives to begin college. Lots of memories wash through my mind while I am working. I wish you many happy years with the new one.

Billy, I look forward to seeing the in-progress photos when you are ready for them.

Freda, your summer sounds quite full. I hope that you are enjoying yourself! I don't know how to take a holiday, there always seems to be more to do than there is time for. It is a good thing that I enjoy carving and work so much, most of the time.

--= --= --= --= (bunny tracks!)

It is on its way...

The bowl of the kagamibuta is of Sirari wood, and the lid is Holly stained with walnut ink and yashabushi. it is 1.9 inches or 4.8 cm in diameter. The holly has a lovely chatoyance in the ripple that was very hard to see before staining. The carving was kept simple, to allow the two woods to speak. There is a brown cord that loops through an attachment hole in the back of the lid, and exits at the back center of the bowl.

437_2.jpg

"Solo"

• 1 month later...

My desk at the moment:

post-1947-1253105558.jpg

Current work. The one in the forground is an experiment and probably won't go any further. The tagua to the right is of a wasp's nest on a tree trunk; the reverse will show an incised beehive. The squirrel's in the process of being blocked out; drawings not finished. The prepared block at the back is for a carving of a mouse on a box; no drawings as yet:

post-1947-1253106639.jpg

Like Woodworm, I am busy with repairs and grass cutting. Have been putting up scaffolding so I can repair my barn. Usually I am some place cutting grass at least one day a week. I cut it at my house, my mother's, my mother-in-law's, and at my karate studio.

I did make a cane for my Aunt yesterday and finished it today. It was made from a Cedar limb from a tree she cut down. I carved flowers and leaves on it. Sorry, no photo's.

I have been getting the carving itch again though. And I have been just plain lazy too. Although I did build a small boat a few weeks ago. Photo shows it under construction. I will post photo's of the finished product if anyone want sto see it. It's called a "sneak boat" and is 10' 6" long.

post-921-1253587597.jpg

Archived