Who are you?

Janel

Hi members.

Sometimes I wonder who you all are. I am learning much from those of you who contribute to our conversations, though there are times when I wish that there was an image of you in the Avatar area. In the "My Controls" area there is a way to add a photo of yourself. The images are small, but they somehow make the sense of community a little stronger when we read your words.

This is my hint, which each of you may choose to oblige or not do according to your own preferences. When I see a smiling face, I tend to smile back and feel a little more connected to you, where ever you are in this big world.

Kindest regards,

Janel

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I agree with Janel. It is nice to see a smiling face just like I enjoy seeing a picture of the author of a book that I am reading. On the other hand, I also enjoy the non portrait avatars as they often communicate as much if not more about the carver: style of work, preferred motifs, materials used, ethic background, mystic, and humor.

In the case of two TCP members, I am glad I had the chance to see the " before and after" avatars. I always enjoyed the cameo or profile carved in bone or ivory of a young lady with a graceful neck that Natasha used for her avatar. I assumed that it was a piece of her work. Now, seeing her smiling avatar, I can see that both avatars show the same qualities.

The second "before and after" avatar that I enjoyed seeing was Mike Ruslander's. His first avatar showed a man in a big Stetson hat with his face turned away from the camera. It was as though he had just delivered a knife and was turning to leave. The big Stetson reminded me of one of my favorite western shows when I was a child - Hopalong Cassidy. In his new avatar Mike really looks like a man who makes knives.

To me it is also important to know what country the carver is from. It is wonderful that TCP has members from all over the world who have different artistic styles. I appreciate all those who take extra time to write in English that is not their primary language.

Whatever avatar you choose, keep on showing us your carvings.

post-152-1253847768.jpg

Archived