book review

beringia

Donn Salt's book: Stone, Bone and Jade recently arrived on my doorstep from New Zealand. I ordered it from: www.nzbooks.com although it can be ordered from Donn Salt's website.

The book covers the work of 26 New Zealand carvers and includes many quality colour photographs and words from each artist.

I would highly recommend this book;it is well produced and a very inspiring read, especially to anybody with an interest in Maori art, although, by no means are all the carvers producing Maori influenced work.

It is a soft cover book of just over 100 pages and measures approximately 8"x11", with roughly three or four pages devoted to each artist, where they are given their autobiographical voice, talking about their influences, love for what they do, philosophies, etc, along with a few pictures of past works.

Another bonus is that despite coming from NZ the wallet didn't take a beating. Total cost was NZ$54.10.

I would give it the "two thumbs up" recommendation.

Tony

www.tonypainterdesigns.com

Editorial comment: Stone, Bone and Jade may be ordered from Janel Jacobson's Book Store.

Janel

Guest ford hallam

Thanks for that, Tony

I`d been poking around those sites a while back, your recommendation urges me to get hold of a copy. As a "trumped up blacksmith" I`ve long been in awe of those who so sensitively work stone.

regards, Ford

Thanks for that, Tony

I`d been poking around those sites a while back, your recommendation urges me to get hold of a copy. As a "trumped up blacksmith" I`ve long been in awe of those who so sensitively work stone.

regards, Ford

Hi Ford,

I got it because I have lately been interested in jade carving. I'm sure it's as hard as the back of God's head to work with but after seeing what the likes of Donn Salt can do with it I will get to it one day.

Tony

Guest ford hallam

Hi Tony,

Thats a coincidence, I`ve also had a hankering to work jade. Though I`ve not done anything about it yet. I`ll be very interested to hear how you get on. Particularly with regard to your tools and even getting hold of the raw material.

I wait impatiently..... :rolleyes:

Go to it, Ford

Hi Tony,

Thats a coincidence, I`ve also had a hankering to work jade. Though I`ve not done anything about it yet. I`ll be very interested to hear how you get on. Particularly with regard to your tools and even getting hold of the raw material.

I wait impatiently..... :rolleyes:

Go to it, Ford

Hi Ford,

I live in the Yukon and not too far away, in northern BC, there is a very good source of jade, so that is not really an issue. The big challenge will be figuring out what additional machinery I need and how much it will cost and of course how to use it. Learning will be half the fun.

Maybe that would be a good topic for a new post.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Wow...Have just caught up with this thread. Thanks for the encouraging comments.

I suspect the most likely source for raw jade would be to approach Kirk Makepiece who is presently recovering jade through the summer period.

Contact for him .....makepeace@jademine.com

Personally I've not been in touch with him nor met him although I do know he is recovering jade and has passed on some considerable poundage.

Donn

Archived