Latest Jades

Donn Salt

Hi All,

Some time since last posting and a little more experience to share.

Here are initial experiments with samples of Guatemalan jadeite I was fortunate to obtain.

post-97-1249972513.jpg

A very pale, highly translucent jadeite with the faintest blue tint.

The center piece is antiqued silver, gold and cultured pearl. Just completed last week. 2.5 inches (63 mm ) length.

post-97-1249972744.jpg

A darker 'Blue Lily' this time of similar size. Carved thin for the translucent qualities to show color and structure.

And this Californian nephrite "Blue Warrior" is still in the progression ......

post-97-1249973845.jpg

Diamond 'Third Eye' mounted in 18ct white gold.

The "Rising Dragon" is sculpted from the finest New Zealand Inanga.

post-97-1249973250.jpg

4 /14" x 3"

A progressional sequence of this emerging energy can be viewed here

Trust you enjoy..... Donn

Beautiful, Donn.

The lines and composition are perfect. Very inspirational.

Could you please tell me, if I was wanting to obtain Jade, including pounamu, is it a case of having the money, or having the contacts?

Thanks, Billy.

Hi Donn,

It is so good to see your new work! Your ability to bring to life the hidden energy and beauty the stone contains is amazing. The flow of the lines are graceful and powerful at the same time. Thank you for sharing!

Janel

hi donn ,I like this pieces they have a nice color ,but you haven't seen the other types of blue they are like 30 different types of blue some very transparent and intense,have you seen the ice jade from guatemala ,is very nice please check the other post I have don and you will see I personally like the tendrils you make, I don't like to copy some one else work , but it inspired me for a design ,and I hope you don't mind,this is a personal piece that a make for my self it represent a part of my life, so I never forgot and I'm haven problems to polishing some parts ,can you given me some advice to polished this piece please ,when we see in the show I will bring some for you :rolleyes:

post-1637-1250043497.jpg

post-1637-1250043565.jpg

post-1637-1250043663.jpg

Beautiful, Donn.

The lines and composition are perfect. Very inspirational.

Could you please tell me, if I was wanting to obtain Jade, including pounamu, is it a case of having the money, or having the contacts?

Thanks, Billy.

Hey Billy,

Thanks for the words, appreciated!

Money and contacts go together..... one with and for the other. As you will be aware NZ jade is next to impossible to source these days with Nga Tahu, after 12 years, having not yet established any access for the aspiring jade carvers of the country. Heard about an uncut stone recently which was from a private collection of some year standing...... the asking price was $200.00 lb. Very rare occurrence these days.

One of the reasons for my avid interest in exotic jades which are not NZ look-alikes. Some of the sources, even though of different color and structure are equal to any NZ jades and are obtainable for any who go searching. Also the Guatemalan jadeites are very intriguing. As is evident with these forms.

I suspect Dante would be able to advise about possible sources.

David Clayton, in San Francisco, has just landed a shipment of Siberian jade, some of which is available..... you will be able to contact him through his site

Hey Dante,

You be right ! The Guatemalan jadeites are a new material which I've hardly had a chance to explore and the blues are a major interest. Either nephrite or jadeite. The small amount of raw Guatemalan I have here will keep until the Jade Cove event.

Design inspirations are all around us ...... It's a 24/7 consciousness, mostly sub-conscious, which triggers the stimulation. Looking at your work clearly illustrates this.

Tendrils are all through nature.... plant and marine ..... !!!! Wonderful design aspects to play with.

Will talk more on stone and workings of with you at Big Sur.

Janel,

As always your encouraging words touch to the soul...... :rolleyes: Thank you.

Hey Magnus,

Thank you also, for the encouraging remarks.

The 'pair' of darker blue lilies is a tone which shows the form much better than the paler, more translucent example above and works well with the satin texture. The greater reflected light from this surface shows form much better than a gloss all over.

Cheers

Donn:

My name is Debbie Kirkpatrick, and I am relatively new to the forum. I've been lurking for a few years, but didn't start posting until a few months ago.

I also carve stone. If you're interested to see what kind of work I do, I posted photos in New Works back in June (scroll down on new works).

I want to tell you how beautiful I think these pieces are, and how much I appreciate the high degree of skill required to achieve such flawless finishes. I particularly like the combination of the satin and gloss finish. The dragon is incredible.

I have a question. I have carved a little jade, and have found that if I didn't keep it wet it had a tendency to craze. When I carve stone I try to keep the stone wet at all times, but when I get the the very end of the carving I find that the water interferes with the view of the piece, obscuring many details. If it's wet, I can't see what I'm doing: if it's dry, it crazes. How do you address this issue?

I'm assuming that the flawless finish is the result of many days of decreasing diamond grits and lots and lots of hard work. If there's any magic trick to it, I'd appreciate a tip.

Thanking you in advance,

Debbie K

High Debbie,

Thanks for the kind words. Your own work illustrates a considerable degree of talent and promises to be exceptional as experience is gained.

Being unfamiliar with your working environment, tools and jade it is difficult to determine the cause of the crazing you mention which leaves me a little perplexed. Both jadeite and nephrite are reasonably heat resistant, from a carving perspective, and any crazing as you mention must be from quite hard pressure with dry tools .... even so it is still unfamiliar to me. When Matt Glasby and I discussed working dry he informed me he works quite allot with a dry burr toward finishing the diamond tooling stages. Light pressure and gentle, quick brushed strokes.

From experience too much pressure will strip an electro-plated diamond burr of it's diamond coating before doing too much damage to the stone itself, wet or dry.... especially dry!

Jade has a vast difference of qualities from the next to useless soft, grainy material to the super clean and tight. No two stones alike and often stark contrasts within the same stone. All affecting working properties.

Your comment on not being able to see the stone through a slurry of liquid is right. Especially if one is carving in a dish of water as I did for a number of years when first starting out. Even under a drip feed the problem is still not much different.

Managed to solve this problem by making a combined water / air attachment for the hand-piece. The air and water are independently adjustable as per the specific requirements for working.

post-97-1250582984.jpg

No magic applied to finishing except patience.

All done is with bonded silicon carbide in one form or another. Cut up old grind wheels, green grit sharpening stones from the local hardware store or 2nd hand tools shop. Personal opinion only is diamond pastes and loose grit just do not do the trick satisfactorily, tending to undercut on the softer grain.

Trust this helps....

Donn

Thanks Donn!

I think I could make something like that starting with an air brush and modifying it. I've never worked with compressed air, but I can see the potential benefit from a set up like yours without even trying it. Sometimes, not knowing what I'm doing can be a great advantage; I'll try anything, but I've wasted alot of time looking for things that do work.

I work with a Dremel and a Grobet. I use dental burs, cheap diamond burs, sintered burs, sand paper, rubber polishing points, stones, brass or wood with grit and anything else that I can think of. I even will try tungsten carbide steel on the softer stones, and when I'm really desperate, the exacto knife or my micro-gouges. I am not familar with the sharpening stones you refer to, but I am going to look for them.

I know what you mean about the orange peel on jade. That's why I starting using the brass with grit on it, it seems to undercut the soft stuff less. The jade I've tried to carve has been the green from BC and I have some black Alaskan jade which I haven't wanted to mess up until I got better. The crazing that I refered to happened on a very thin (less than 1/8 inch thick) greenman pendant when I was using the dental bur trying to get the mouth and nostril detail while it was dry (so I could see what I was doing). Maybe it was so thin it couldn't dissipate the heat. I was so annoyed by putting in all that work to have it screwed up in the last 10 seconds that I wouldn't work in jade for another year or so.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge so freely, I really appreciate it. It's a great gift that you give to all of us novice stone carvers struggling with tools and techniques. Thank you again.

Debbie K

Hey Boyo,

Whoa! Love the new dragon but the material is totally over the top unbelievable, lucious, edible... Thanks again for being so generous with the tutorials you post. There seems to be a bit of a "BC" influence in your face piece, nice.

Elsewhere,

Tom

Hiya Jim,

Your words, so much appreciated. Thank you :)

Hey Debbie,

Innovation in adapting existing tools and systems to a desired end other than the original purpose is the key. Sufficient air flow for a fitting such as illustrated on the hand-piece above is not allot. Although not explored, suspicions are the exhaust of an old vacuum cleaner would be more than adequate. Requires no more than 20 to 25 psi. down to 5 to 10 psi., adjusted to specific requirements. The air brush thoughts are intriguing ....... keep us posted. :rolleyes:

Yo Tom,

Yeah, this Dragon stone is truly 'A Gift of the Gods' 'The Stone of Heaven'. Used for special pieces only. Best comparison for you is it's not dissimilar to some of the better Wyoming 'Honey Olive' of which you are familiar. Awesome stone! Meaning structure and translucence.... colors are quite different.

Recognitions ? :lol:

Thanks ....... Donn

Beautiful work, Donn!

Thanks for posting these photos. I am envious. I have wanted to try carving jade since I visited a nephrite mine in Harrison, British Columbia, when I was about 10. I bought a chunk of nephrite weighing about 2 pounds, and still have it.

I do quite a bit of work in stone, but mostly architectural sculpture in Indiana and/or Tyndal limestone. One day. maybe, I will cut into my block of BC nephrite and look to your work for inspiration.

All the best,

Phil

Hey Natasha!

Many thanks for your wonderful words. Patience and innovation are the essential aspects of working these exotic materials. Ivory or Jade ..... As your own extreme patience and skill is so well illustrated in the absolutely incredible pieces you honor us by sharing...... very humbling :rolleyes: They just blow me away!

Hi Phil,

Those comments are greatly appreciated, thank you. And I will add here the tutorials you post up on the forum are fantastic. Especially the gold leaf sequence. Better than many so called instructional publications that have passed thru my hands over the years, not to mention the tool steel sequence which would be prime knowledge for every carver to assimilate.

I know when you take the time to bite the bullet and apply tool to jade your own extensive experience will serve you more than well.

Again ... thanks....... Donn

As a matter of interest perhaps is this Dragon carved way back about 1978 when 1st experimenting making silver steel tools and whale ivory did not carry the stigma it has today.

post-97-1251079119.jpg

An 6 inch sperm whale tooth cut in half length ways and set into a fitting recess carved into the jade pebble.

Archived