engraving tool designs

Einar

Hi,

In my town there is a silverwork factory, and i have talked to them about using their wire EMD machine to cut out some engraving tools. The steel is the one they use for their punching blocks, so I think it should be ok, I think they can also do the hardening. I am new to this, and wonder if anyone have any suggestions on what cross section the tools should have. I will be using them to make 3d models about 4 inch high

The reason for doing this is that I think it will turn out cheaper than bying separate engraving tools, they are expensive and hard to get here, in Norway.

Hello Einar and welcome.

There is a fair bit of information here about gravers. We encourage newcomers to use the search function, but here are links to two threads you may find useful.

ENGRAVING BASICS

GRAVERS

I don't want to discourage your suggestion necessarily, but using an EDM machine to shape a graver sounds a little extreme.

I think you will be better served to find a source of small (3-4mm) square or round tool steel and learn to make your own, as described in threads above. Steel like that should not be hard to find.

After reading some of the info here, let us know how you're doing and we can go from there.

cheers,

Jim

Hi Kelso, and thanks for the quick reply!

The engravers I was thinking of making are for bigger pieces of work, so they will be used more like a woodcarwing chisel. I think i will try to make some from drillbits, I have some pieces of carbon steel i could use for the bigger pieces. I also saw that gravers are cheap on the internet, about 8$. The one they sell here cost about 30$ each. If I can boy them for 8$ a piece, it will be cheaper than cutting them out.

Cheers

Einar

Archived