Mirror mirror on my desk...

Guest Clive

Back in the decades when I made pottery for a living, I used a mirror set at a level and an angle that would give me a profile view of the pot on the wheel at a quick glance. It was very helpful to get a different perspective on the piece at hand. I had not thought about the usefulness while carving, though it makes sense. When something does not feel right when a piece is right side up, turn it upside down to remove the familiarity with the expected. Visual movement, balance and what ever else one sees changes, which helps the critical eye discover what needs doing.

Now Clive, if that is not what you meant about "what does my work really look like?"... as in..."does anyone know what my work looks like?"... the mirror image is lost in the haze of my misunderstanding.

Janel

Guest Clive

Gee wizz.... some folks are just soooooo suspicious :(:lol:, surely if I wanted to make some profound comment on the nature of the relationship we have with our work I'd have said something to that effect. :rolleyes:

Warmest Regards Sweatie... (you just know me too well :(:lol: )

Clive

Guest ford hallam

,Warmest Regards Sweatie... (you just know me too well :lol::lol: )

Clive

Hey Bro,

Are you suggesting that Janel perspires over much, ( sweatie ), that`s not very gentlemanly, whaa! Gobole. :rolleyes:

Actually, i was rereading some of my posts over the last few days and was appalled at the odd ( very ) slip ups in that regard. I guess It`s a consequence of thinking too fast..... :(

I agree, Janel, viewing something in a mirror image does obviously present an alternative view but I wonder if we don`t have a natural tendency to arrange things/compositions etc in a way that reflects the left / right divide of the brain. Is it possible that we express particular tendencies in aesthetic desicions in this regard, and that by inverting them it in effect produces its antithisis? :( aarg! my brain hurts.

right, must dash, small boy and I are off to town.

as always, Ford B)

Administrative comment here...the "Edit" button, if you non-administrative members have one, would allow you to enter your post and modify it if you see something amiss. (I have now done that thrice to this post!)

I have done that many times for my posts, since when it is posted something invariably pops out at me when the post is presented once out if the composing box. In it's own way the word and letter order shares a relationship with visual perceptions when reordered or presented by mirror or repositioning.

What an exercise could come of this. . . Never directly looking at the piece being worked, only looking at a mirror. Could anyone do it? I could make a pot that way, but when imagining something as complex as a carving, owww :rolleyes:

When I designed the relief carving for porcelain box lids I drew the line drawing on tracing paper and shaded on the back side. When the composition was ready, the line drawing was prepared with soft pencil overdrawing, the line drawing then being placed onto the damp, domed, porcelain box lid and gently rubbed to transfer the lines to the clay. Thus, the design was reversed from original drawing. Conscious of this, the tracing paper allowed the composition to be worked from both directions, but I never felt that I was drawing backwards in the first place or carving backwards subsequently. While carving, the boxes were rotated on a small turntable, so upside down presentation was always a part of the view.

Good word: antithesis - n 1: exact opposite; "his theory is the antithesis of mine" 2: the juxtaposition of contrasting words or ideas to give a feeling of balance

Good brain exercise, just reading our posts on TCP Forum! Thanks everyone for you wonderfully varied opinions and experiences which are shared here!

And, Clive, sweat or sweet, I had to look that up earlier this week just to be sure, the aging brain don't you know. I had hoped for the nicer interpretation, but sweat I might upon your greetings when next we meet! :( (she said warmly to a friend remembered with fondness)

Janel

Guest Clive
I had hoped for the nicer interpretation, but sweat I might upon your greetings when next we meet! :rolleyes: (she said warmly to a friend remembered with fondness)

Now now... no flirting Janel!!

You'll get my horny brother's "Advanced member" all excited... and this at his age that's dangerous :lol::(:(

Love and bubbles SWEETIE!!

Clive

Archived