blue jade from guatemala

dante lopez

hi ,to all well I will try to explain the differences in quality in jadeite ,

1-transparency ,very important because that is what is going to increase the value of the material some times you get very transparent stone but to many cracks, that the price for transparency,in other to get this characteristic it have to be form depth in more the 80 kilometers under the continental platform that will provide the pressure and the hit for the metallic crystal to bound together

2-uniformity in color ,and intensity when buying guatemalan jade as all the stone what you want is color uniform ,when is like this is consider gem quality good for jewelry ,on top of that color have to be intense that you can see the color whit no help of any out side light this will send the price to the sky's,if it have the transparency,uniformity in color you get a good stone

3-purity, if stone is eye clean ,no inclusion ,you made it this final characteristic will defined the price it can make the price to go form $100 stone to $5,000 because it is so rare to find that

first you have to understand the real nature of jadeite ,is to be opaque ,irregular color very included because the components in the material and other mineral associated whit this ,also the color is strong fact because it given by metallic inclusion ,like iron,cooper,chrome,cobalt and titanium,each one of this metals have a different melting point in nature the harder the metal is the deepest it have to be melt I put in that order because that more or les the rarity of the colors ,the melting point of each one and how abundant are in the soil been titanium the rarest of all ,for many reason ,titanium give the blues colors the more titanium the deepest color ,you see ,whit titanium the problem is that is the only one metal that when it reaches the melting point never goes to liquid it goes from solid to gas BUUMM,so in order to paint the jade it have to become in a mooch rare substance it is call feroxcen hydrated of titanium,this is a heavy salt ,the rare part is that jade can take up to 2500 celcies whit no problem it change the color but the stone keep been hard and strong titanium melt at 3200, it passes for too mooch the limits of jade ,that why today blue jade have a big demand the conditions for the stone to be form are so precise and so extreme that it make the blue jade from guatemala one of the rarest stones in the planet ,huuuuuuuuu!well only want to share some of watt ,I have learn in the way like you can see I have a passion for the jade I put some pictures of some 5 types of blue for you to see and green an a type that is rare green I will post some more colors in the week

post-1637-1251498806.jpg

post-1637-1251498849.jpg

post-1637-1251498905.jpg

post-1637-1251498956.jpg

post-1637-1251499052.jpg

post-1637-1251499147.jpg

post-1637-1251499214.jpg

It is quite clear that fine blue jadeite is rare even among fine jadeite, no question of that. Possibly TOO rare?

Any chance that the fractures in the first sample were produced by mining? It would be quite a shame...

Sure like a good story about precious colors! Is there a source (citation would do) for the description of color origin in blue jade you give? [i have a bit of trouble with the language...]

In the meantime, here's what I found: I believe it was Dr. Harlow who proposed that Ti is responsible for the blue-green color in jadeite and the blue omphacite in Guatemalan jade. It would seem that the experiment he suggests to demonstrate the role of Ti (last paragraph) has been done (HERE). However, rocks always manage to produce news (LINK) .

All in all, I have to admit that while I obviously find such academic concerns exciting, I do not think they are required to appreciate beauty or rarity or the artistry of jadeite carving ;)Perhaps the other way around, even. Clearly, there are the usual concerns of gemology, but I wonder how much Guatemalan jadeite ever goes through any of the research labs at all.

Seeing jadeite carving in fashionable company [quite a bit around here!, and outside it - lately: 'Les Ciels' of Caudie Plé :o] is at least as inspiring as any gritti academic account.

Just found this story in the mail:

Don Salt, 'Feeling the Difference Between Nephrite and Jadeite. From the Perspective of Hands On Carving Experience' - open for comments on Timeless Jade

The write-up fits in so well in the discussion, one might be wondering :blush:

It is interesting for me to read in there a reasonable pretext for the choice of jade words: why 'ice' and 'glass', 'honey', 'water' etc. are favored as a traditional analogy to describe jadeite finesse. Not difficult to imagine that such qualities are not to be taken for granted (all it takes is knowing to count!), but I am only finding out to what extent...

Archived