Hello!

Robert C

Thought I would say hello since I am new and post my work.

my first carving. turned out nice though it developed a crack so I am no longer wearing it.

hook1.jpg

my latest carving. I tried to make it a little more beefy despite wanting my original design.

The color is a little darker due to a tea stain to bring out all the character.

hook2.jpg

the design is less traditional since I like the symbolism of it but found the same design with more distance between the shank and hook tended to catch on things sometimes, and rather than end up with a broken hook I just closed the gap.

I still have not found the proper (relative term) cordage to use but its a start.

any and all comments and criticism is welcome :o

Hi Robert!

Welcome to The Carving Path forum! You are in luck, there are others on the forum who are working in the medium you have begun to use. Thank you for the examples of your first works. You are catching on well right off at the start. Why do you suppose the first piece cracked? Was there already a stress in the material?

Janel

I think perhaps it is a combination of the taper I did and perhaps because the bone had been baked.

I don't know for certain if it was baked but from what I've read here and elsewhere pet shop bones apparently are baked.

this particular crack starts at the tip and goes clear through to the base of the hook.

since it is unlikely the crack will continue if no wear or use occurs I have decided to lash it up and make a small shadow box for it.

at least then I will be able to see it :o

Archived