Odor elimination!

Ladywithaquestion

Found your site in seeking remedy to a carved bracelet I just bought and would like to wear! (see attached photo)

I was told it's carved from ox bone. The odor it emits is NOT pleasant - and I'd love to know what to do to make it

go away. Bones are on an elastic band - which I know will need eliminated, since it's permeated as well.

What do I do? Anyone got any suggestions?

post-2258-1253997875.jpg

Hello Lady with a Question,

Welcome to The Carving Path.

My immediate response is to use processes that dose not harm your bracelet. The obvious would be to soak the bracelet in a solution of dish washing soap, such as Dawn, and let is soak for a couple of hours. Then see if there is any change is the odor. If there is a change, repeat the process. Another option might be to "bury" the bracelet in baking soda for a day or two and then see if there is any change in the order.

I am sure that you will get other suggestions from the carvers on this site so keep checking. There are many experienced carvers on this site who work with bone and ivory. They have many methods of preparing bone for carving.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to surf or browse this site, especially the "Show and Tell" section. You will find many exquisite small carvings and jewelry pieces. Many of the artists list their own websites on their postings. You may find something to add to your collection or you may decide to try your hand at carving.

Again, welcome to The Carving Path.

Enjoy,

E George

Hi,

Sorry for my late post, I've been busy. George's suggestions are excellent first steps, and shouls avoid causing any damage.

I have a related question for you. Does the odor develop after you got it, and come from the piece when you wear it, or was it that way when you got it?

Most of these odors come from either ransid fats that are in the bone, and were never really removed properly, or they are from latent bacteria that has developed from moisture and heat as you wear it over time, kind of like an old leather watch strap.

If the odor persists, you might try rubbing alchohol, or nail polish remover. This will have the double effect of killing any bacteria, and removing any fats from the surface.

Best of luck,

Phil

I'll just add that - without smelling the item myself, and going on a loose description of it- a lot of items of this sort which are mass produced sit packed in warehouses for a period of time. The contents can have fungicides and insecticides applied to them to keep them in good shape prior to and including shipping. They can smell of these chemicals for awhile afterwards.

For odor elimination, odor-eater shoes inserts and unscented, clay based cat litter can also be effective. Place the offensive item in a closed container with one of these items and wait a couple of weeks.

Hi,

Sorry for my late post, I've been busy. George's suggestions are excellent first steps, and shouls avoid causing any damage.

I have a related question for you. Does the odor develop after you got it, and come from the piece when you wear it, or was it that way when you got it?

Most of these odors come from either ransid fats that are in the bone, and were never really removed properly, or they are from latent bacteria that has developed from moisture and heat as you wear it over time, kind of like an old leather watch strap.

If the odor persists, you might try rubbing alchohol, or nail polish remover. This will have the double effect of killing any bacteria, and removing any fats from the surface.

Best of luck,

Phil

Phil -

Two liquid soap baths, followed by an afternoon in the sun helped some. I've got the bracelet immersed in baking soda at present.

To answer your question though - I wore the bracelet, immediately upon purchasing it - and noticed after a very few minutes driving in a hot car where the odor

was coming from. Appreciate your suggestion to solve my problem. Sounds most reasonable! Thank you.

Linda

Archived