Nick Lamb

fkvesic

Nice to hear Nicks doing well.. he's a top carver imho, I remember a beautiful little ptarmigan he carvered out of stag a couple of years ago.. damn it was sooooo lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Freda!

I am immensely curious about what he is carving. The two books, one with a drawing of an eyeball in cross section, and the other with a tail of an insect, perhaps a dragonfly. Leads one to wonder ...

The apparatus that makes the carving peg looks like a very practical, portable, solution for demonstration when carving away from one's carving bench. He also has a second Optivisor on hand, so I wonder if they are different powers for different stages of carving. We cannot see any of the carving or his tools, rats.

Thank you for noticing the blog posting!

Janel

My guess is that the 1 x 4 at such a short length will not be springy, or only slightly so if the attachments are firmly screwed down. Also, the pressure may be slight with his elbows propped on the bench adding no arm weight while carving.

The elevation of the peg will reduce the strain on the neck and back. My chair is adjustable, but I do have to remind myself to change positions so that I am not bent over, stressing back or neck.

The elevation of the peg also opens up the bench top.

I expect you're right and it's certainly a design worth considering - especially bearing in mind the painful back syndrome.

I couldn't have a fixed bench peg on my (also) writing desk, so last week I made a mini pitch bowl, really a tack bowl, but with a lip because I didn't want the carving angle to be all that steep. It holds the piece really well and doesn't slip. The piece on the tack is just under 5cm long:

post-1947-1256157482.jpg

Never thought of making a device like that. Of course if it is springy you could put a narrow piece turned vertically under it to stabilize it. Or use a 2 X 4 instead of a 1 X 4. It appears he has it screwed to a 4 X 4. All kinds of possiblities there.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the links to the work.

Thanks for the posting, Freda

I really like the raised peg idea. I have started to develop neck problems, from 30 years hunched over a bench, and find that I need to have my work raised up a little more than I used to.

I like your tack bowl. What did you use for the tacky material?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Archived