A mayfly

lauri

As an old flytier I know that it is difficult to imitate insects like mayfies. All those delicate small details, autums sun shining trough the veins of the wings while it's flouting on the surface of the river, the rise of the trout...Have I tould you when I caught that trout? Well, it happened.....Nonsense, says the small gemcarver inside me! Stop that whining and just take some suitable stone and carve a little bit here and there! What, needs to flout and have a hook? Peanuts, I say!

Body serpentine, eyes garnet, silver.

post-2296-1258141320.jpg

So do I.. you might like these..

Damned, where is the rope! Your flies are better than mine! It is so unfare! I curse you! Well, maybe not. Your just too good for me, I admire your flies. But never come to Finnland with your flies, this country is not big enough to you and me! With love, Lauri.

And do you like mine? Just superglue!

post-1629-1258154722.jpg

Well... without jokes, I like your work Lauri. Show us more, and sizes and tools and workspace and...

I have to admit that your flies look more like naturals than Clives but.... perhaps I however would like to fish with Clives ones, no offense given. Size is abbrox the same as with the fly. Lauri.

Damned, where is the rope! Your flies are better than mine! It is so unfare! I curse you! Well, maybe not. Your just too good for me, I admire your flies. But never come to Finnland with your flies, this country is not big enough to you and me! With love, Lauri.

I've fished Kapeenkoski a few years ago.. do you know it.. the rapids between the two lakes. Amazing browns and grayling.

Look me up if you ever come to England.. we can go terrorize some trouts in my Derbyshire rivers.

All the best

Clive

I've fished Kapeenkoski a few years ago.. do you know it.. the rapids between the two lakes. Amazing fishing.

Look me up if you ever come to England.. we can go terrorize some trouts in my Derbyshire rivers.

All the best

Clive

Unknown to me, there are too many rivers here. Sure, would love to fish in your country. unlikely but one can allways dream. Must win the lottery! Lauri.

Hey Lauri.. check out my wasp imitation.. pics a bit dark but its got a foam body..

I give up, can't beat You with my flies and I'm too old to cry openly. I will send something that eats your entire flycollection... beware the FROG!!!!!

Fantastic Mayfly Lauri,

How you can make that, it is very very tiny in my eye. also expect some process show.

b

Basically it's very easy according to KISS-methody( Keep It Simply Stupid), whitch is my basic line to enter all the problems I meet while working. You just grind the gem/stone so thin you dare and then you start carving. In the end you will either have a translucent wing or a piece of scrap. Sometimes it is scrap. I don't have any pictures of making wings but when I'm having time I can show how to make something similar, a pendant with same technique. Lauri.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived