Apricot vessel carving

My beloved apricot tree died this summer so I turned several vessels from it and am using one for this project.

My carving is very rough but hopefully with some tips, I can improve.

This is the first posting for me, so I hope I can figure it out.

First is my design: two overlapping frames with vine and bamboo for the beatles.

then my rough carving -- made many design changes because of technique and tool control issues.

i'd like to refine the beatles but haven't figured out yet how --

Welcome Cneber,

I like your design very much. You say this was a turning? What is the size? I like your pierced work better than the drawing - as to defining the insects ( flies? ) - there are many post here on the site that could give you inspiration. I do not get as much a feeling of bamboo as I would like to see from your leaves - have you studied the way bamboo leaves come out from the culm?

Thank you for sharing.

Magnus

Welcome Cneber,

I like your design very much. You say this was a turning? What is the size? I like your pierced work better than the drawing - as to defining the insects ( flies? ) - there are many post here on the site that could give you inspiration. I do not get as much a feeling of bamboo as I would like to see from your leaves - have you studied the way bamboo leaves come out from the culm?

Thank you for sharing.

Magnus

thanks for your comments, Magnus

The vessel is 9"x5".

yes, my bamboo needs some work. i was hoping to develop another level with the leaves and pole, but on a flat plane with pyrography that ties into the carving.

Archived