Some of my netsukes

Yuri

The last one is ordinary cowbone, the rest boxwood. The eye inlays are ebony, and in one instance antler and ebony.

Made them across some years, the last one about 4 years ago. As you can see, I'm not trying to imitate Japanese traditional designs. Also some people find my imagination a bit weird. But then, tere were quite a few old Japanes ones carved in a fairly weird imaginative style, too. I just see different ghosts and other beasties from what the Japanese carvers saw.

post-2194-1258439146.jpg

post-2194-1258439165.jpg

post-2194-1258439176.jpg

post-2194-1258439191.jpg

post-2194-1258439204.jpg

post-2194-1258439219.jpg

post-2194-1258439231.jpg

post-2194-1258439241.jpg

Hi Yuri,

I think these are great :lol: They reveal a wonderful sense of humour and the characters you've created are very appealing. I have no doubt these fellows would have been most appreciated by the trend setters of old Edo (Tokyo)

regards,

ford

The last one is ordinary cowbone, the rest boxwood. The eye inlays are ebony, and in one instance antler and ebony.

Made them across some years, the last one about 4 years ago. As you can see, I'm not trying to imitate Japanese traditional designs. Also some people find my imagination a bit weird. But then, tere were quite a few old Japanes ones carved in a fairly weird imaginative style, too. I just see different ghosts and other beasties from what the Japanese carvers saw.

Hi Yuri! I like your items a lot, especially the first one. It remains me devils I used to make when I was using wood instead of stone. They were a little confused looking and my wifes aunt hated them ( and me ). Remains me the old good days. Keep on the good work, you made me smile! Lauri.

Thanks for the nice opinion.

They all have done the trip to Japan's annual modern netsuke carvers' exhibition, that's where you would have seen thm. These ones unfortunately also did te trip back, unsold. Haven't taken part in that exhibition for a few years now, due to shifting into a different kind of work lately.

Archived